Can diabetes be a result from liposuction? Do they use steroids to keep inflammation down?
8 months ago
I was perfectly healthy and had lyposuction on 7/20. General Anathesia didn't work so returned on 7/21/16. Mh blood sugar was 98 and jumped to 720 afterwards. The next week I started have blurred vision and symptoms of diabetes. I ignored signs thinking it was part of healing process of surgery. Now I am struggling to keep blood sugar down and have been hospitalized twice. I was hoping it was steroid induced diabetes and will go away. I called and the nurse said they use no steroids.
Doctor Answers 2
Liposuction and diabetes
Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
- I am so sorry you are going through this -
- Ask for a copy of the anesthesia and surgery records to see what drugs you were given.
- Have your diabetes doctor review them.
- Anesthesiologists can routinely give steroids without the surgeon being told -
- What happened certainly sounds like a drug-induced diabetes.
- Liposuction itself is not known to trigger diabetes -
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Diabetes and Liposuction
No liposuction is not a cause for diabetes. Please see an expert for treatment options of your diabetes. Best, Dr. Emer.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.