Can diabetes be a result from liposuction? Do they use steroids to keep inflammation down?

I was perfectly healthy and had lyposuction on 7/20. General Anathesia didn't work so returned on 7/21/16. Mh blood sugar was 98 and jumped to 720 afterwards. The next week I started have blurred vision and symptoms of diabetes. I ignored signs thinking it was part of healing process of surgery. Now I am struggling to keep blood sugar down and have been hospitalized twice. I was hoping it was steroid induced diabetes and will go away. I called and the nurse said they use no steroids.

Liposuction and diabetes

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • I am so sorry you are going through this -
  • Ask for a copy of the anesthesia and surgery records to see what drugs you were given.
  • Have your diabetes doctor review them.
  • Anesthesiologists can routinely give steroids without the surgeon being told -
  • What happened certainly sounds like a drug-induced diabetes.
  • Liposuction itself is not known to trigger diabetes - 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Diabetes and Liposuction

No liposuction is not a cause for diabetes.  Please see an expert for treatment options of your diabetes.  Best, Dr. Emer.