How likely I'm I to die under general anesthesia during a mastopexy plus lipo procedure?

Ok, so yes I understand it seems silly, but I get extremely nervous thinking about using general anesthesia or IV sedation. I'm a 23yo female, and am in good health. My parents and grandparents have had general with no complications, but I can't shake the fear. So in all seriousness, how likely am I to die with these types of anesthesia while getting the procedures listed done? I don't have much fat to remove, weigh 118lbs and am 5'6 to give an idea. Thanks

Is plastic surgery safe?

Is plastic surgery safe? I believe fear comes from a lack of education about the subject. Contact your board certified plastic surgeon's office. Let them know your concerns. They will be equipped to help you. I tell my patients that nervous is normal so please don't worry. Best of luck to you!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and liposuction - mortality rates

Thank you for asking about your mastopexy and liposuction.

• Your question isn't silly because in the 1960s - 1990s anesthesia had many more risks.
  • Today because of much safer anesthetics and very good monitoring, elective surgery with general anesthesia in an accredited out-patient surgery center done by a qualified plastic surgeon is very very safe.
  • Problems do arise when doctors who are not trained in surgery do major surgery in a non-accredited office surgery center.
  • Can disasters arise? Anything can happen in life but there are thousands of people having elective cosmetic surgery done by qualified surgeons in qualified surgery centers every day with no complications.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Die

You have a higher chance of dying from a car accident than from surgery. General anesthesia is very safe today, and the majority of people do very well. Please discuss any concerns you have with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon