How much time do I need to take off from my job as a server?

Hi! So I'm really hoping to have my breast reduction over the summer. My summer job is a server at a very nice restaurant. I'm wondering if I can get away with only taking a week off to recover? Obviously it's an active job, like being on your feet, but I don't really have to do much lifting. We have food runners for dishes so the most I would carry is some drinks. Does this seem reasonable? Thanks!

Return to work after breast reduction

Congratulations on you decision to undergo breast reduction surgery!  Recovery is largely dependent on pain tolerance and varies from patient to patient.  I typically recommend 2 weeks off work and no lifting more than 20lbs for 6 weeks postoperatively.  As long as you are not lifting, I think one week off is reasonable.  Best of luck to you!

Recovery from breast reduction

A week is sufficient time to recover from a breast reduction procedure. Most patients only take narcotics for about three days after surgery. The chest muscle is not harmed during the procedure therefore the recovery is actually easier than breast implants for example.

William Bruno, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  I think that you should be fine as long as you do not do any heavy lifting or anything else that causes pain or discomfort.  I usually advise that two weeks off for a waitress job would be appropriate but your surgeon has his or her own protocol, so it best that you follow those instructions.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, patients typically take about 1 week off, provided that they do not engage in any strenuous activity or heavy lifting when they go back to work.  For some people, they may feel the need to take 2 weeks.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon for further guidance.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction and work

If you carry a heavy tray then I would suggest having the surgery about 4-6 weeks prior to starting your summer job. Best of luck.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Like every procedure performed, every patient will have a different recovery experience. Some of this experience will depend on the patient's personality/pain threshold etc.
Most patients are “laid up” for a few days and return to light activities within 7 to 10 days. Heavy lifting should be delayed for 4 to 6 weeks. Given your "active" occupation, I would suggest a minimum of two weeks off,  assuming no complications.  As always, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specifics.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

4 weeks

For an active job like you have, I would recommend you take 4 weeks off to recover after a breast reduction.  If you feel better sooner, you can always return at an earlier date.