What size implant would be best for me and would I need a lift also? (photo)

I'm 36 yrs 5'3 135 lbs 36 D to DD depending on the brand bra I wear. I'm wanting to achieve fullness and lift. I'm use to having big breast all my life but after having 3 children and weight loss my breast have lost their fullness and volume. I have 3 consultations scheduled with 3 different PS this month to determine which PS would be best for me. I'm searching for other opinions to take into consideration.

Breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question. You would definitely benefit from a breast lift, which reduces the skin envelope while reshaping the breast tissue into a more youthful and perky shape. Implants can also be added to restore volume. Size is a critical question for many women who choose breast augmentation.  The key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation.  There is an ideal shoe size for your foot. Too small and your foot will be crammed and too large and your foot will not fill the shoe. The same thing is true with breasts: too large and it will look round and fake; too small and it will be loose and empty on the top.  The common denominator to the most beautiful breasts is that they were sized objectively on the basis of measurements.  We combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires.  Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion.  A rice test in the office or at home can also be very helpful.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breasts lift only

Dear simmsgirl,   Thanks for submitting your pictures.  From observing your pictures and the information that you provided about your breasts size - 36 D or DD, it does not appear that you lost volume, but rather your skin loosened up dramatically (notice the stretch marks). Under these circumstances, I would not recommend implants but rather full lift (key hole) surgery. The procedure will give you beautiful perky breasts with nice cleavage and fullness in the upper poles. Implants will weigh heavily  on your skin and will cause the breasts to sag again rapidly. Not good ! .   You have to realize that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.    Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                               Best of luck,                                                    Dr Widder    

Implant or just lift

If you do not want more volume, then a lift may be all that you need. I you want more volume, then an implant could be added.

Implant size and possible lift

You will absolutely need a lift as you have both nipple and glandular ptosis(sag). If you are ok with the breast size/volume you have now, you could undergo just a lift. IF you want more superior pole fullness you would need the lift and an implant. As for size of implant, depends on your breast width and chest dimensions in addition to having a conversation with your surgeon about your desired size.

Lift without implants

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast lift.  I would suggest that you will not get the position shape and symmetry that you would like with an implant

Breast lift with implant

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast lift with an implant.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Augmentation and lift

Thank you for your question and photos. After weight loss and children, many women notice that their breasts can not only lose volume, but can become droopy as well. From your pictures it seems that you have lost upper volume and cleavage. You also have some breast droop. I believe that implants would give you more fullness and a breast lift would make you perkier. Overall, the look in a push up padded bra, without the bra. As for size, I find the best way to determine what is right for you is to try on implants with your plastic surgeon. That way, you can know what you will look like after surgery. You have many options to achieve the result you want. You have the choice of saline implants, silicone gel implants, or the Ideal structured breast implant. Additionally, you can select breast implant size, and shape, as well as placement of the implant (above or below the muscle). You have several options for incisions. Make sure your plastic surgeon discusses all of these options with you at your consultation.

What size implants best and would I need a lift also?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately a true size estimate for an implant can not be determined without an understanding of your goal desires and without the assistance of a few breast measurements.  That said, based on the position of your nipples relative to your breast crease you would benefit from a lift at the same time.  Hope that this helps.

Absolutely, lift plus implant

Your photos demonstrate both ptosis (sagging breasts) and pseudoptosis (loss of upper pole fullness with descent of tissue).  An implant is necessary to restore upper pole fullness and the lift to reposition the nipple and areola complex over the implant.  Good luck.

Christopher Newman, DO
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon