Returning to work after day 4 getting breast implants and being on my feet a lot worries me. Will it affect my recovery?

I m having my breast implants in mid Oct. I've opted not to tell anyone at work except for my manager. Ill be back to work 4 days after surgery and my biggest fear is I'm in sales an will be on my feet a lot. Does anyone know if this will affect my recovery? Or have any input? I'm a very active person and usually mange pain well so I am hoping this will not effect me. I will have to push some heavy carts in the evening. But no lifting of more than 15 lbs of merchandise.

Returning to Work Post Breast Augmentation

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employeed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

Returning to work it four days is not out of the question after breast augmentation.

Most patients returned to their day-to-day activities within a day or so after breast augmentation. The breast have to be protected but no damage will be sustained simply by going to work.

Breasts augmentation follow up instruction

Dear melc,
   Hopefully you chose your surgeon after due diligence and you trust him , so follow up his recommendation. In my practice, patients can return to desk work type,  3-4 days after surgery and can drive once they stop taking narcotics pain pills. No excersize or lifing or any strenuous activity is allowed for 2 weeks, because of bleeding concerns. When bleeding occures, even a small amount, it can cause capsule contracture and hardening of the breasts. So, 'an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure'. After 2 weeks light excersize is allowed and after one month there are no limitation to activity. Always, consult with board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Check also the 'realself' reviews for positive patients experience which provide important information on the surgeons.
                                  Dr Widder

Early Postop Recovery

Thank you for your question.  It is unlikely that returning to work or light activity will affect your recovery.  Pushing a heavy cart is probably not prudent.  I would discuss this matter and recommended activity levels with your surgeon.  Best wishes on your recovery.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Our augmentations return to work and working out in 48 hours

This is very common for our patients.  Typically our patients are moms that are healthy, work out, active, and have families and jobs.  They can hold their infants and small, young children the next day.  Full range of motion is begun immediately, even in the postoperative area.  I know many practices do not offer this as recovery, but after over 4000 implants and aspiring to get our patients the most gentle, least pain, and quickest recovery, I believe this is possible and available.  Visit a BCPS that specializes in cosmetic breast surgery as I do.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines regarding postoperative care. Typically, light activity can begin 3 to 5 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can resume 1 to 6 months after surgery. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the specifics of the case and you. The surgeon may want to limit your activity to start.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

What to expect following Breast Augmentation

Recovery periods vary among patients.  Generally at four days, you should be able to be on your feet and performing light activity.  As stated by others, I would not recommend any strenuous activity at four days.  Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Breast augmentation recovery

Most of my breast augmentation patients are comfortable to return to a desk job in a matter of days after surgery.  I generally advise no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.   Pushing heavy carts is not a good idea.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon about his/her recommendations.  

Breast implant recovery

Although standing on your feet four days after breast augmentation should not have an impact on your recovery, pushing heavy carts may.  You will have to discuss this with your plastic surgeon as he/she will have their own preferences.  In general, you will want to avoid heavy lifting or vigorous activity, with the idea that raising your blood pressure and heart rate may increase the chance of bleeding.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Post-Recovery Exertion

Your doctor is most concerned that everything goes well. Bleeding is one of those things that can occur after surgery that can disrupt an uneventful recovery, even up to two weeks after the surgery. Bleeding can occur without warning but often follows exertion or exercise. With this in mind, every physician has their own rules regarding post-op exertion. You should discuss your particular case with your physician prior to surgery. In my practice, we do not allow exercise for the first three weeks. After that time, patients can walk on a treadmill, ride a bicycle or walk on the stairmaster. After six weeks, my patients can return to full activity.

If you would like more information on breast implants, please read my book " Cosmetic Breast Surgery - a complete guide from A to Double D">

Robert M. Freund, MD