Dent and bump on nose, 6 months post-op, how likely is this swelling still? (photos)

Hi, I had a close rhinoplasty with osteotomies almost six months ago. Overall I am pretty happy with the result but the dent I have on my right side, and hump at 1/4 turn are extremely bothersome and saddening. How likely this is swelling? Would a filler help, or do I absolutely need a revision to fix it? If I need a revision, is there any chance it's a minor in office revision? Since I'm six months post, is it still possible it's going to get worse? Thank you, I appreciate any and all insight.

Bumps on nasal bridge

The areas of excess fullness in your photos may represent swelling or a few small bony calluses (scar tissue).  They are quite small, and may do well with more time or several tiny, well-placed steroid injections.  I would not recommend surgical revision at 6 months post-operatively, as there remains significant healing to do.  You would do well to discuss your concerns with your surgeon; an in-person exam, with looking at and feeling the nose, will help your surgeon evaluate your concern and counsel you effectively.  Good luck in your recovery!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for sending images. It appears you have had a very nice improvement.

I do see the area of fullness that you mention. A full examination would really be necessary to give you a diagnosis and plan. That said, in my experience small bumps at 6 months are unlikely to go away without intervention. This can include steroid injections or filler to camouflage. If your surgeon feels a minor revision is necessary, it typically is recommended that you wait until a full year out as these do occasionally improve with time. Fortunately, any revision should be fairly minor with a quick recovery.

Hope that helps. I recommend staying in close contact with your surgeon and letting them know your concerns.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

It is very likely that your nasal bridge is still healing from your rhinoplasty and the nasal appearance will improve further in the next 6-12 months. Overall, you appear to have a nice result. Discuss your concerns with your physician for reassurance as I would expect things to get better with time. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump

A bump can occur for many reasons. This can include inadequate treatment, or possibly scar tissue. If you want a permanent change then a revision will be necessary. But I would wait a full year or more.

Bumps after rhinoplasty

It appears you had a very nice improvement in your case.  You appear to have thin nasal skin which is very revealing of the underlying framework.  It is extremely challenging to achieve perfectly smooth results when very thin skin is present as any imperfection will become evident in the healing process as the swelling subsides.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.