Would I be a candidate for augmentation only or lift/augmentation to restore breasts? (Photo)

I'm 48, without children. I would like to correct/restore my breasts shape and size after aging and weight fluctuations. Would I benefit from augmentation only with a technique such as dual-plane or would a lift/augmentation be necessary? Thanks in advance!

Breast Augmentation or Breast Augmentation with Mastopexy

The discussion should be based on the size breast you wish to see post operatively, and weather you desire correction of asymmetry. This can be determined with a consultation and implant sizing. Thank you for your question.

An implant alone should be fine

It really depends on your size goals.  You actually have very little ptosis (or "sag"), so an implant alone will restore the fullness that you've lost in the upper poles.  However, you'll be pretty busty because you already have a very full breast.  Get a couple of in-person consultations with ASAPS member surgeons and go from there.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Correct breast operation

You would require an examination in order to fully answer this question. It appears that you would benefit most from a breast lift and an augmentation. This will lift and shape your breasts and position your nipples properly in relation to the implant. Best of luck with your procedure...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Would I be a candidate for augmentation only or lift/augmentation to restore breasts?

If you want a submuscular breast augmentation you will likely need a lift. It is ok to have implants first and wait to see if a lift is needed but read up on "snoop[y deformity" first.

Subglandular breast augmentation may not require a lift but expect more sagging breast sensation. For more information please read below:

Mastopexy?

I would suggest doing the breast augmentation first and waiting about 6 months to allow the implants to settle before deciding on whether or not to do the lift and incur the scarring associated with the mastopexy.

John Burns, MD

Breast Implants vs Breast Lift with Implants

If you don't mind increasing your size by a cup to a cup and a half then an augmentation alone with a dual plane dissection would be the easiest option in terms of recovery, scar burden, and finances.  If you end up with some recurrent ptosis (sagging), which I think would be unlikely, a periareolar lift could done secondarily, if need be.

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with lift candidate, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have asymmetrical and sagging breasts.
In this regard, i recommend a breast lifting with implants to get a bigger breast with adecuate projection. In other words, you need breast volume (implants) and you need breast projection (the lift).
I recommend you, to use a microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implants ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection and different volumes of each side (bigger in the right breast) to correct the breasts asymmetry you have. Also, I recommend perform a "Lollipop Breast lift" to obtain an adecuate breast projection.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast surgery

From the looks of your pictures, you may be a candidate for either an implant alone or a lift with or without implants.  The best thing is to see a Board Certified PS for a good consultation.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift versus Breast Augmentation

To be honest, it completely depends on your desired outcome. If you are happy with the size of your breast, then a breast lift alone will address your needs. However, if you'd like your breasts to be a bit larger then you will need probably need a lift with an augmentation. Since this is something that is best determined in person, I would suggest that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Lift or augmentation

Thank you for your question. The first question to ask yourself is do you like your current size? If the answer is yes then a lift alone is what you need. If you want to be larger then a lift with implants would be best. Some may even offer a Biplanar augmentation alone if you find you want to be significantly larger but I still believe the best look would be a lift with implants. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon