Can I achieve good results with my tummy tuck? (Photo)

I have my tummy tuck on January 6th and because I am.having NO lipo with it I am scared my results will suck. My PS says my results will be great after an almost 300lb weight lost but I don't think so, he says I barely have fat left in my stomach and I will be more curvier afterwards, especially with the hanging nasty skin in my sides I think it will be a fail, so I'm so nervous!!!

Is Abdominoplasty Enough

Massive weight loss is often associated with deflated, loose hanging skin all over the body. The abdomen, chest, back, arms, and legs are typically all affected. There are a range of surgeries that used to dress this excess skin. The exact combination of procedures performed is often tailored to the needs of the patient.

A typical full abdominoplasty is a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin and fat from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles. For fuller figured patients or for patients after massive weight loss, the bikini line incision is often extended over the hips and towards the back to as an extended abdominoplasty. In some cases the incision is carried all the way around the back to take up excess tissue around the entire waist (a belt lipectomy / body lift).

For massive weight loss patients with excess upper flank and back skin, an additional procedure is often needed to remove this tissue through an incision hidden in the bra line. Sometimes liposuction is added to for better contouring.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. A discussion with the treating surgeon would be the next best step.

Can I achieve good results with my tummy tuck?

Congratulations on your weight loss! Pre surgery jitters is normal. Rest assured;  you do not need lipo. Enjoy the new you!
Happy recovery.
Kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and bra line back lift

Dear Angie,

You will need and benefit from a tummy tuck, there is no doubt about that.  The loose skin on the sides of your chest near your bra will not be significantly impacted by your tummy tuck procedure.  Instead, a bra line back lift procedure will be needed to accomplish bra roll and back roll removal and eliminate the laxity near your bra area that you have shown.  The only other question would be if a vertical incision would be needed for your tummy tuck.  That procedure is called a fleur-de-lis tummy tuck and results in a horizontal waist incision as well as a vertical incision in the middle of your abdomen vertically.  The link below shows a before and after photo set of a bra line back lift procedure patient of mine.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck

You have hanging skin from the massive weight loss which is very typical. You should do very well with just a tummy tuck

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Yes either extended or circumferential full TT is the option best for you in my over the internet opinion.....

Massive weight loss and liposuction

Congratulations on your weight loss. Is normal to be nervous about a surgical procedure. A tummy tuck will make quite a significant difference in your abdominal contour. The tummy tuck though will not address the sagging skin of your sides towards your mid back. This is better addressed with a circumferential lift and perhaps back roll excision in your case. Best to you in your upcoming procedure. 

Massive weight loss does not mean you need liposuction with your TTuck

Your photos do not give an appearance of any need for liposuction.  The skin and skin laxity is the issue in your photos and you should expect an excellent result.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck without lipo

Based on these photographs it appears that you do not need liposuction.  A tummy tuck should give you an excellent result.

Tummy tuck

A tummy tuck will make a significant improvement in the appearance and contour of your abdomen. Liposuction will not really help you since the problem is excess skin after your impressive weight loss and not excess fat. A body lift, otherwise known as a circumferential abdominoplasty, would improve the appearance of your hips and outer thighs. Ideally, this would be done at the same time as your tummy tuck; if that cannot be done, it can be done later as a secondary procedure. Good luck!

No lipo required

Hi - congratulations on your massive weight loss.  From the photos it appears that you have minimal to no fat left, thus you don't need liposuction.  What I do believe you need is a circumferential abdominoplasty (or a body lift).  This will remove all of the excess skin from your tummy, flanks and back.  All the very best with your surgery.  Kind regards Kim

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon