Chin Augmentation - Genioplasty? (photos)

would I benefit from a genioplasty? I'm self conscious about my profile but more importantly I am a mouth breather & constantly feel tired through out the day. I also feel I have lip incompetence & an overactive mental is muscle as a result of my recessed chin. How sucessful are genioplasties? I've read that genioplasties can address all the issues I've listed above, is this true? Can a genioplasty improve my profile? How far would you project my chin out if you were my PS?

Sliding Genioplasty

It is true in they right patient that a sliding genioplasty can create the functional improvements that you have described. However, such outcomes are more predictable in the more severely chin/jaw deficient patient that what you are. But it may be effective for you as well. It would require more pictures from different angles for a more complete assessment.

Small chin implant candidate

The photo  demonstrates a minor recessive and weak chin profile, for which a small Silastic chin implant can improve and help with facial balance and  proportions. A chin implant will not help with the way the teeth fit together. Breathing difficulties  out of the nose can be caused on a variety of issues such as a deviated nasal septum, turbinate hypertrophy, valve collapse, and allergies. Each one of these issues are treated differently with either medications or surgery. For more information and many examples of chin implants, please see link and the video below

Chin

On profile, your chin is minimally recessive, at best. Doing a genioplasty is abdolutely not indicated in this case. A relatively small chin implant will correct whatever disparity your chin profile presents.This will  not change your breathing issues which may be due to something else. An implant will support a "hanging" lower lip.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon