Virginia Hyaluronidase Recommendation

My plastic surgeon used way too much and I am miserable with the way my face looks. It is very distorted from my usual appearance. I had only wanted a small amount injected into the one wrinkle on each side of my mouth. I live in Virginia and I am not able to find a qualified physician to inject hyaluroniase to dissolve this mess of Juvederm. At this point I will be thrilled to have all of it gone. Do you have any suggestions as to whom I may find for the hyaluroniase injections?

Doctor Answers 4

Let your fingers do the walking and be direct with your questions

I think in this situation you want someone that does lots of injections. Most significantly experience injectors will also know how to inject hyaluronidase to help dissolve the hyaluronic acid filler ie, juvederm, restylane etc.

Personally I think the real skin in hyaluronidase comes in injecting the correct amount to try and achieve the precise results. I think most injectors should feel comfortable.

Let your fingers do the walking! Call around to local injectors that are extremely experienced and ask how often they inject and how often they have done hyaluronidase. Plastic surgeons/ dermatology types probably are good bets as long as they do quite a bit of injecting. Feel free to ask directed questions of the office staff. My guess is you would get pretty direct and honest answers.

Good luck to you!

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
3.4 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Training more important than title

Although hyaluronidase injections may offer a good solution and ending to a negative and disappointing experience, you are still faced with the challenge of finding a practitioner that is qualified and experinced with this treatment. You may want to start by looking through RealSelf for a panel member in your area. Another suggestion is to to ask friends that have been satisified with their comsetic dermal filler treatments for a referral to their injector.

BTW, one panel member indicated that an allergy to eggs is a contraindication for the use of hyaluronidase/Vitrase. This is incorrect.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Many docs that inject the hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane etc) will stock a hyalurnidase such as Vitrasse.

Call multiple offices and ask the receptionist or nurse if they stock the enzyme to dissolve Juvederm.

Vitrasse should not be used if you are allergic to eggs.
Good luck.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your injector of Juvederm. There is a saying among physicians that, "It's not the filler (Juvederm in your case) that causes the problem, but the filler (the person who injected you)".

If you live near Washington DC, see Tina Alster, MD to correct your Juvederm. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.