Tummy Tuck scar irritation normal?

I'm 5 weeks post op & I keep feeling irritation/itching/slight burning & sharp little needles sensation on the Rt. side of My TT scar. Scar isn't red or anything. I'm healing from a seroma that was on that side but is pretty flat now so I don't think it's anything to do with that. Is it My nerves coming back? Should I be worried?

Scar Concerns

Without any visible issue such as redness and thickening or the scar it sounds as though this is the normal sensation of nerve regeneration and healing taking place. It should resolve over the next few weeks. Let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have any ongoing concerns.

All the best

Tummy Tuck scar irritation normal?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  After a tummy tuck the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the removal of the loose lower abdominal skin.  This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling.  These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time.  Hang in there and be sure to mention these issues to your surgeon during your post-operative appointments. 

Scar irritation

This is all normal.  The nerves are returning to normal and this usually takes several week to months to recover fully.  

Lawrence Rosenberg, MD
Lutherville Timonium Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scar Irritation

Thank you for the question.    What you are describing does not sound unusual.  It is normal to experience different sensations during the healing period.  Be sure to mention to your PS and follow all post op instruction.    Good Luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Scar Development

After tummy tuck surgery, it is normal to experience a tingly sensation as the tissue is healing. Scar therapies can help relieve some of the uncomfortable irritation associated with scar development. Embrace Active Scar Defense is one great scar treatment to help diminish the appearance of scars. Another product commonly recommended by plastic surgeons is bioCorneum. Follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding any concerns during your recovery. Good luck and congratulations on your body makeover!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scars at 5.5 weeks

At 5.5 weeks post surgery your scars are still maturing and it is normal to feel itchy.  The nerves are also "waking up" so that weird sensations are possible.  Best to ask your surgeon his preference about scar care.

Tummy tuck

Hi- it's all totally normal and nothing to be concerned about. The complaints your having are all part of the healing process. Follow up with your plastic surgeon to ensure your healing appropriately. Hope you love your result. 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck scar irritation normal?

Thank you for your question.  It is normal for tingling and irritation to occur in the tummy tuck incision due to regenerative attempts of the nerves which were cut during surgery.  This should progressively get better over 6 weeks and it is important  to make your surgeon aware of these feelings.

Itching after tummy tuck

In all likelihood, you are feeling the effect of return of sensation following the initial swelling. If you have concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to your plastic surgeon.