Should I have a 2nd tummy tuck? Is my only option the same surgery? (Photo)

I had a full tummy tuck done February 2015. I have had a bulge in the upper abdomen since. I am considering a 2nd tummy tuck. My physician believes it may be the muscle sutures didn't take.

Upper abdominal bulge

Thank you for posting photos along with your question. Unfortunately the only way to really tell would be to evaluate you in person. Certain things should be considered and ruled out like seroma or just residual fat that may have been left behind. From the pictures and from what you are saying your plastic surgeon believes, there is a very high likelihood that the stitches may have either came undone or that your abdominal muscle has again weakened with time. If this bulge was noted soon after surgery and you had any issues with coughing, vomiting or lifting heavy objects than it is probably the stitches may have popped. If you noted this gradually over time than maybe your abdominal wall is weakening again. If either of these issues is occurring then a repeat tummy tuck to repair the muscle will probably be needed. If the abdominal muscles just weakened over time then you may also need a reinforced repair with some type of "mesh." Hope you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Should I do a tummy tuck revision

Often the bulge in the upper abdomen comes from gaining weight inside the abdomen around our bowels and intestines.  We sometimes call it a "beer belly" or "beer gut."  Try losing a few pounds and it may improve on its own.  On exam, your doctor may be able to differentiate if its from weight gain or from the muscles being loose.  

Remember than an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and guarantee a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.  

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Is a 2nd Tummy Tuck the Answer??

Hello Cwerne,

That's a great question and one that requires more information before committing to a 2nd surgery.  An ultrasound or CAT scan would be helpful to define exactly what is causing the bulge.  And this is infinitely important to help decide what is the best procedure, if any.

It looks like you had a full TT and that your belly skin is very tight now.  A second full TT is a completely different operation from your first one and has some specific risks and complications.  If there is some additional "work" that needs to be done in the upper belly, it may be possible to address that through a belly button incision.

Good luck!

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Revision of TT

These cases require more assessment than what can often be done by photos.  I would get my ultrasound machine out, and take a look at what is causing this upper abdominal bulge.  It could be fat, fascial laxity, suture dehiscence or a combination.  The surgical plan would then depend on what we find.

Revision TT or liposuction

It is very hard to make a good assessment of the cause of your "deformity" without clinical, in person evaluation. It is possible that you may have more fat tissue above umbilicus then bellow what creates this bulge? You should discuss options for correction with your surgeon or even seek a second opinion consultation with another experienced plastic surgeon. There are many good plastic surgeons in your area. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Re-run

Thank you for your question. It would not need to be a complete repeat of the first surgery but a retightening of the fascia. it certainly can help with the upper abdomen contour. Good luck

John S Mancoll,MD 

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon