Who can not get ThermiVA. I have an IUD can I get ThermiVa? What else would keep you from procedure?

Who can not get ThermiVA. I have an IUD can I get ThermiVa? What other situations would keep you from being able to get ThermiVA, I am very interested.

ThermiVA and IUD is safe

As a certified ThermiVA trainer in the Atlanta area, I have trained many doctors on how to safely use ThermiVA and we have the most experience with ThermiVA in Georgia. ThermiVA is safe with IUD. There are few contraindications for ThermiVA: Pregnancy, active lesion in the area or cancer, unrealistic expection. It is a non-surgical temperature controlled vaginal tightening device using radiofrequency (RF) energy. ThermiVA is performed in the office using only local anesthesia. There is no need for sedation or general anesthesia, but available if requested. ThermiVA uses the same technology as ThermTight and ThermiSmooth, which has been used for years in other areas to reduce the effects of aging such as the face, neck, arms, and abdomen.

For those looking for vaginal tightening procedures, its better to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon and offered the correct treatment for the problem. ThermiVA is one of the tools we offer. I agree, "if all you have is a hammer..... everything looks like a nail" Do your homework to make sure your plastic surgeon offers other options for your problem and is experienced with RF technology.

Themiva is a wonderful procedure for vaginal tightening for vaginal laxity, stress urinary urgency, orgasmic dysfunction, labial reduction. ThermiVA is the latest technology for vaginal rejuvenation without surgery, or downtime. The excellent results from Thermiva has been supported by studies, patient testimonial, and numerous reviews. In our certified center, those that are not candidates for ThermiVa are offered other options such as labialplasty or vaginoplasty during the confidential consultation.

However, your best plastic surgeon has the experience, training, and results that relates to you. Do your research and find a real Plastic Surgeon and book a paid consultation. Free consults are just a sales pitch and does not work in your best interest. People always say “you get what you pay for”. This is very true in Plastic Surgery.

Below are other criteria to use when selecting a Plastic surgeon.

Questions to ask your potential plastic surgeon (Answering NO is a big red flag)

1) Are you a plastic surgeon? (You should research the differences between cosmetic surgeon & plastic surgeon. Make sure that your plastic surgeon is a trained surgeon! You may be surprised)
2) Are you board certified in Plastic Surgery? (Board certified in what? You are looking for the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many boards and some are fake. Make sure that the certifying board is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties or the American Osteopathic Association.)
3) Will the procedure be performed at a fully accredited & certified procedure room or ambulatory surgery center, or hospital
4) Do you have hospital privilege to perform the same procedure you do in the office? Which Hospital?
5) Do you offer complication insurance. How do you handle complications and revision (it does happen, it better to be safe)

The most important decision is to do your homework well. Good luck.

IUD with ThermiVA treatments

Yes, before there were concerns about the copper IUD's. It we know it is safe now to perform it , but I always make sure it has not migrated out and will come into contact with the device during the treatment

Other than that we would not recommend treatment if you are pregnant, have a cardiac device like a pacemaker, have an active UTI or STD. I also encourage women not to have the treatment during their menses as it gets  can get a little messy.

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS

Does Not Come In Contact with IUD

Having an IUD is not a contra-indication to ThermiVa because the treatment wand does not come in contact with the IUD.  Contra-indications to ThermiVa include pregnancy, active STD, and open sores.  Previous surgery in the area would be important to bring up during your evaluation but are not usually contra-indicated.  Radiofrequency devices in general are also not indicated in patients with pacemakers, defibrillators, mechanical heart valves, and Vena Cava umbrellas.  

ThermiVA and IUD's

Yes, you can have Thermiva treatments if you have an IUD. We refrain from treating a patient if they are pregnant, have a sexually transmitted disease, currently have a urinary tract infection, or have cardiac devices.

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician

Contraindications for ThermiVA

Having an IUD is not a contraindication for receiving the ThermiVA procedure. The ThermiVa wand only treats the external Labia and internal vaginal canal, not inside the uterus, so the IUD remains unaffected. Absolute contraindications for the ThermiVa procedure include active STD, pregnancy, current UTI, and patients with cardiac devices such as pacemakers, defibrillators, or mechanical valves. Your treatment provider may suggest alternative treatments if you have had recent vaginal surgery or fillers, or greater than stage 2 pelvic organ prolapse. It is important to advise your treatment provider of all previous treatments or surgeries in this area, so proper recommendations can be made. Good Luck.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having an IUD is not a contraindication to getting Thermiva

Thank you for your interest in Thermiva! Having an IUD is not a contraindication to getting Thermiva because Thermiva only treats the external labia and the internal vaginal canal and the wand does not go into the uterus.  The strings of the IUD should not be affected by the radiofrequency, but you should still let the treating physician or nurse know that you have an IUD placed prior to treatment.  Contraindications to getting Thermiva include pregnancy, active STD, urinary tract infection and  patients with a cardiac device e.g. pacemaker/ defibrillator/ mechanical valves.  

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

No Problem

Having an IUD is not a problem for having Thermiva done.  The only issue that may me would be possibly melting the strings that are protruding from the cervix, though this may not be realistic - Thermiva heats to about 45 degrees celcius, which may be below the melting point for the plastic filament string.  The IUD itself certainly wouldn't get heated enough to affect it.

If you are a good candidate for Thermiva otherwise, I wouldn't hesistate based on the IUD.

Contraindications for ThermiVa

You may have the ThermiVa procedure if you have an IUD. The wall of the cervix and uterus protects the IUD against the radiofrequency energy. Some contraindications for ThermiVa include: pacemakers, pregnancy, active sexually transmitted diseases, current urinary tract infection and severe uterine prolapse.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

The operator would need to avoid treating your deep vaginal vault area in order to not damage the string. Please understand, however, that ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have nor seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Who Is Not A Candidate for ThermiVa

Just recently, ThermiVa has announced that Copper IUDs no longer need to be removed in order to be a candidate for ThermiVa.

Camille Cash, MD