At the opening of my vagina it looks like some of tissue of some sort. Is it normal? (photos)

I really dont really notice ot just a lil pressure if i sit a certain way and not sure if i should go to the doctors or if it will go away by it self

Doctor Answers 8

Candidate for Vaginal Rejuvenation

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Although your photo is a little dark and difficult to see, from your description it sounds like you have a concern which you would be a able to take to a surgeon for consultation. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

You have sagging vaginal walls and a loose vaginal opening

For exact details, you'll need a full evaluation in person. It's obvious that you have sustained significant damage to the supports of your vagina and pelvic organs. You'll need an expert in pelvic reconstructive surgery who also specializes in vaginoplasty if your wish is to have a tight and well supported vagina.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

You have vaginal prolapse

Hello Yana,You have vaginal prolapse which is very common and not life threatening. Please see link below for more information on prolapse. Here you may also look at several Before and After photos demonstrating surgical results.This will not go away. Only reconstructive vaginal surgery will correct it. For this you should see a board certified Urogynecologist to improve your chances of the best outcomes.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Vaginal Bulge

What you have is called a rectocele.  It occurs when the wall of fibrous tissue (fascia) between the rectum and the vagina weakens, allowing the vaginal wall to bulge and push out. It is the wall of the rectum that bulges into the vagina. Childbearing is the most common cause of this defect and it may or may not cause symptoms.  Depending on the size it is rarely painful but presents with pressure like symptoms.  Problems with bowel movements and intercourse are common and surgical repair is performed on an outpatient basis with minimal downtime.

James Mirabile, MD, FACOG
Overland Park OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Evaluation for prolapse.

Good Afternoon,Thank you for providing a photo to accompany your question. The sensations of heaviness, pressure, fullness in the vagina/pelvis are quite typical when there is prolapse of the tissues in the pelvis. From your photo it appears you have a rectocele which is when the rectum is bulging up into the vagina. When the bladder is bulging into the vagina this is a cystocele and uterine prolapse is when the uterus has descended down the vagina. None of these conditions will "go away by themselves", they may stay the same or potentially worsen causing you more symptoms. It will be important to have a thorough examination by a Board Certified Urogynecologist or Gynecologist proficient in pelvic prolapse repairs. I emphasize the importance of this examination in that prolapse of the pelvic organs/tissue will frequently involve all of the areas mentioned above and thus should be addressed completely for best long term results.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Could be several things

Can you give us more information.Age, vaginal deliveries? It is hard to determine based on the picture with knowing more about you and the symptoms you experience.  I would highly recommend an evaluation by your gynecologist to asses for pelvic floor dysfunction such as a rectocele or other type of prolapse.
Dr Ghozland

David Ghozland, MD
Santa Monica OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

What is this loose skin and what can I do about it?

From your photo you likely have what is referred to as a rectocele.  This is a defect in the posterior or bottom of your vagina from which your rectum is bulging through.  You do not have to have this fixed unless it is troubling you.  Common ways women experience difficulty with this anatomical structural defect include pelvic pressure, vaginal laxity, constipation, the need to push down to have a bowel movement, incomplete fecal emptying.  If you decide to have this fixed you should also be evaluated for other issues you may have with pelvic organ prolapse including urinary incontinence.  You don't need to have this repaired unless you are experiencing symptoms as mentioned above.

Michael Litrel, MD, FPMRS, FACOG
Woodstock Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Vaginal prolapse

Dear MsYana19902:
Thanks for sharing your photo and question.  I am certain you have vaginal prolapse in the form a rectocele and possibly a uterine prolapse (but it is difficult to determine based upon this photo.  YOur condition will never go away on its own.  Typical of rectocele are symptoms such as pressure, difficulty evacuating your rectum at the time of bowel movement.   If you have a uterine prolapse it often feels like your partner is hitting something during intercourse especially when you are in the knee chest position as well there is difficulty maintaining a tampon.  Please see a board certified urogynecologist or gynecologist for your assessment. 
John R Miklos MDUrogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal SurgeonAtlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.