Is my nostril asymmetry causing uneven smile lines? How long should I wait before considering revision?

1 year post op rhinoplasty skin on nose is still oily and smile lines asymmetrical one side is deeper. My skin has been oily ever since the tape came off. It has been 14 months since rhinoplasty and it seems like nothing can get my skin back to normal. Are there any suggestions? Also my nostrils seem uneven and smile looks forced how long should I wait before considering a revision?

Nostril asymmetry

It is very difficult to make the nostrils exactly symmetric.At the symmetry is not very noticeable it is best to leave it alone.  All the skin can improve with help of microdermabrasion or gentle glycolic peels.

Regards

Dr.J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric smile and notril asymmetry

Dear sweet pea, 

Usually a 1 year is adequate time to wait until a revision rhinoplasty. It is not uncommon for your skin to slough some after the tape and cast come off, this can be prolonged but should resolve certainly within a year. I would visit an aesthetician or your surgeon to evaluate your skin. I would follow up with you rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate your pre and post operative photographs so you can communicate how you feel your smile has changed and discuss your nostril asymmetry. He/She can address if techniques used in the surgery may or may not have contributed to the change. Best of luck!

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, smile lines, asymmetry, timing for revision rhinoplasty

For a rhinoplasty to cause asymmetric smile lines is quite unusual.  Without pre-operative and postoperative photographs to evaluate it is difficult to comment on the cause and nature of the asymmetric smile lines. If alar base reduction  or grafts which extend  over the medial portion of the cheek bone were performed the smile line might be impacted.  I would recommend critically evaluating your preoperative photographs and I suspect that some asymmetry in the hips existed before surgery.  With regard to the timing of a revision rhinoplasty 1 year  is an adequate delay to allow complete healing and give the revision surgery a stable nasal architecture to work from.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon