Ideal weight for Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

I am currently losing weight. I am 5 1. 192 lbs. I would like a general idea of how much weight I would need to lose to be considered for a yummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift.

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your question.

The ideal weight for any plastic surgery will depend on the BMI, which refers to therelationship between your height and your weight. According to data offered by you should lose approximately 30 to 35 pounds.

Hope hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ideal Weight

Hi ~ Great question. It is always best to be within 10-15 pounds of your goal weight and have maintained that weight for at least 6 months.  Losing significant amounts of weight after your procedure can lead to excess skin and need for revision surgery.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Ideal weight for a TT and a BA

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Weight loss goal

Thanks for asking. You need to lose a minimum of 35 lbs to be considered a candidate for the elective surgery procedures that you've described particularly if you wish to perform them simultaneously. 

Be well

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  

As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  

Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.

Ideal weight for a Tummy Tuck

Ideally a patient is within about 10 -15 pounds of their ideal weight.   For a patient 5'1, that would be in the range of 130 pounds at most.   Having a tummy tuck at a great weight not only puts you at risk for post op complications, but also will limit the degree of your improvement.   A full tummy tuck is an investment in your longterm appearance and future so it is worth taking the time and effort to get your safest, best result.  Always consult a board certified plastic surgeon when considering surgery.  

Carlin Vickery, MD

Body weight before surgery

You should be as close to your ideal body weight before having any type of plastic surgery. For your height of 5 ft 1in, you should be somewhere in the range of 110-130 lbs before your tummy tuck and breast surgery. Consult with a few plastic surgeons for a complete exam and review of your options.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation - necessary weight

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast augmentation.
  • A very good question - we all need to have a goal.
  • At your present weight, your BMI is 36.3 - too high to expect a good result.
  • At 159, you will have a BMI of 30 - and could be considered for surgery and expect a good result.
  • At 135, you will have a BMI of 25 - and could expect a really excellent result.
  • Hope this helps - just get started and lose the weight slowly but steadily with as much exercise as possible- this should be a change you can life with permanently, not a one-off weight loss that you gain back.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover - Ideal Weight?

Thank you for your question.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

A tummy tuck in conjunction with a breast augmentation should be delayed until you are within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, have finished all of your pregnancies and have a BMI less than 30 to get the best long-standing cosmetic result with the lowest risk of potential complications.
If a member of my family underwent a tummy tuck, it would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) . If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure. 
Robert Singer, MD FACS 
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon