Will a Breast augmentation prevent or hinder my rigorous yoga practice?

I practice and teach rigorous styles of yoga like Ashtanga and Power Yoga 5-7 days a week. These styles of yoga require a lot of pec excercises like tricep push ups and arm balances. An implant over the muscle is not an option for me because I want a natural look but an implant under the muscle seems so painful and I doubt having defined pecs helps, ouch! Will implants negatively effect my love for yoga and a active lifestyles? Suggestions appreciated!

Only time restriction for engaging in Yoga after BBA

Thank you for your question!

Submuscular breast augmentation maybe more painful, and slightly reduce your muscle strength. However, it will in no way prevent you from engaging in Power Yoga or any other exercises.

That being said, there is a time restriction.

Normally, it is recommended not to do heavy lifting of greater than 10 lbs for the first 3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training.

You should work to slowly increase your activity level. This will be dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts, then stop the activity. Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles as much as possible until you hit the 6 week post-operative period.

If your implants are placed behind the pec major muscle, then you will also have to avoid any exertion or strenuous activity that requires use of the upper body (e.g., chest, arms) for at least 6 weeks. This includes but is not limited to running, push-ups, pull-ups, and weight-lifting. Even when you return to high impact upper-body exercises, many surgeon may advise on the importance of supporting your breasts with snug fitting sports bra.

Post-operative recovery after surgery is a crucial part of getting the best results, and it should not be rushed nor underestimated. In fact, as a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best. Their instructions should take precedence as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps

Post BA- Return To Physical Activity

I have not had any patients with sub pectoral implants report an issue with yoga or most physical activity. Many of my patients are fitness model and work out extensively. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns and guidelines for activity restriction after surgery while you heal.

All the best

Does BAM hinder yoga/rigorous exercise

Without photos to comment on, it is difficult to answer your question with more than generalities. One should not discount an implant placement in FRONT of the muscle as "not natural appearing". The selection of implant size, style. incision location, silicone vs. saline is a very individualized exercise. It is based on a thorough physical examination. Given your vigorous exercise regimen, it may be ideal to place the implants in front of the chest muscle but beneath the fascia (connective tissue between the breast and the chest muscle). This would allow you a more rapid return to your exercise program and would not diminish the strength of the pectoral muscles.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Recovery and Results :

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

A submuscular breast augmentation using a moderate-sized implant which is based on the base width of your breast should not interfere with your yoga practice.  I would avoid very large size implants and was certainly use an implant no larger than the base width of your breast.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to perform lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Yoga and breasts augmentation

Dear Bianca,

Congratulation on your intense physical activity. Breasts augmentation will be one of the best investment in yourself. It will increase your self esteem, confidence, sense of femininity and will make shopping lots of fun...

Once the initial  healing  process  is complete - one month ( 2 weeks no activity at all and 2 weeks of gradual activity advancement ) you may return to your normal , beloved , yoga activity.

One caveat, most of my athletic patients go for a full B cup  or small C cup size the most, which enable them to do their activity with ease as before surgery. This relatively small size, also allows for a faster natural settling of the implants.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous,  consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder

Yoga after breast augmentation

Thank  you for your question . I have many patients who engage in rigorous exercise . They are all able to return to there preferred exercise after a certain period of recovery . This is usually 4-6 weeks . Since yoga has many postures that require contraction of the pectoral  muscles I ask may patients not to do these postures in the beginning.I too , practice yoga and can tell when I have  worked my pectoralis muscles . For instance shataranga, plank, hand stands etc will need to wait . As a yoga teacher you know that even downward dog may be an issue temporarily . Again , 4-6 weeks after surgery and easing into it should not be a problem but you need to clarify this with your plastic surgeon . 

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question!  You should be able to return to full activities including power yoga after a breast augmentation regardless of if you have them placed over or under the muscle.  The difficulty for you may be finding time to limit any heavy lifting / yoga for at least 4-6 weeks.  Initially an implant under the muscle may be more painful than over but most patients tolerate it very well and recover fairly quickly.  After that you should be cleared for any activity.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help ease some of your concerns and in some cases allow you to speak with former patients that have a similar lifestyle to yours.  Good luck with everything!

Dr. Tag

Breast Augmentation and yoga practice.

I have had patients in my practice who go back to their healthy, exercise filled lifestyles following a successful recovery.  I believe the key is carefully following post operative instructions and having communication with your PS if you have questions during the healing process. In my practice, I advise no weight bearing exercise until 6 weeks after surgery. Best of luck to you.

Fred Hackney, MD