6 days post op bruise appears. Normal? Or Not? (Photos)

Surgery 9/23 600cc silicone submuscular. One breast larger naturally but developed this bruise 9/29 It isn't sore to touch or feverish but is this normal bruising? Every time I wear the recovery bra these sort of bruises show up. I hadn't worn since day 3 because it was so tight it hurt and made a bruise under my arm that went away itself once I stopped wearing bra. Today I wore recovery bra all day 9/29 and now this bruise shows up tonight. Post op visit isn't until the 5th, should I go sooner?

Early post op. Some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Get a new compression bra

If your compression bra is causing you pain and bruises, then you should definitely change your bra. Please see your surgeon to discuss getting another bra, and have them check out your bruise to ensure it’s not a complication (i.e. hematoma).

Bruise 6 d postop

Hello, sometimes a bruise will surface several days after surgery so this is not necessarily abnormal.  However, I would recommend discussing any new symptoms or observations with your surgeon to ensure you are healing normally.

Bruising

Some bruising is normal, but the one with the bruising definitely looks larger than the other. You are best to see your surgeon to make sure you do not have  a hematoma.

Swelling

There are so many variables that can affect symmetry, it is difficult to say from photos only. The asymmetry could be caused by a hematoma. This is a collection of blood around the implant. You should see your surgeon to see if he believes there is a hematoma. Removing the hematoma will improve the quality of your long term results. 

6 days PostOp bruise appears. Normal? Or Not?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Though the delayed appearance of a bruise is not uncommon after a breast augmentation, with the amount seen in your picture and the relative size difference between that breast and the other I would favor being seen by your surgeon to ensure that you are healing well and that there is no evidence of a hematoma.  Best wishes. 

Bruise after augmentation

Thanks for your photos. Bruising such as this do occur. Most often it will not be an issue and resolve over 1 to 2 weeks. Sometimes it represents a larger collection of blood called a hematoma. If so the management would be to drain and remove it. It can cause issue with the capsule or even distort the final shape of the breast. 

If your breast difference is similar to what you've noticed prior to your procedure, then concern is less. However if you're noticing a big difference in the right side, then it is more concerning. Definitely arrange to be seen by your surgeon relatively soon. 

Gary Vela, MD, FACS

Bruise or hematoma after Breast Augmentation

Thanks you for the photos. The area that concerns you may be a bruise, but it may it could also be a collection of old blood that that occurred after surgery. If it is a collection your surgeon may want to remove it.  Your PS will need to examine you to be sure. Give you PS a call and send your photos. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and swelling of one breast 1 week post-op should be evaluated

While it is uncommon, we certainly can see some bleeding into the pocket around implants after surgery.  This is called a hematoma.  Generally, the signs we look for with a hematoma are asymmetrical swelling, especially swelling that distorts the upper part of the breast or armpit area, bruising more than what we would normally expect to see with a breast augmentation, and pain in that breast.  Given that you do appear to have swelling and bruising more than what might be expected on that one side, I think it would definitely be a good idea to call your surgeon and arrange an appointment for evaluation sooner than your next scheduled visit.  This is not a life threatening thing, or an emergency, but you won't want to ignore it either.  While you may well not have a hematoma, the only way to know for sure is to be examined.  If it is a hematoma, the best management would be to remove the blood, because left in the pocket, the blood could stimulate scar tissue and result in capsule contracture problems down the line.  Best of luck.