I have severe gynecomastia. Are there any good gynecomastia surgeons in the Dominican Republic? (Photos)

As you can see from the pictures I have severe gynecomastia. Are there any surgeons in the Dominican Republic that deal with cases like mine? I know that this surgery will require me to wear drains. How long can I expect to wear the drains? Also how long will I have to remain in the Dominican Republic before I can travel home?

Doctor Answers 8

Are there good surgeons in your area?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Selecting a Surgeon in a Different Country

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 107 reviews

I have severe gynecomastia. Are there good surgeons in the DR?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Because of the possible risks that can occur in the first weeks after surgery it would be best to have a local surgeon perform your procedure as there are a number of reputable gynecomastia surgeons in and around the NJ area.  A thorough assessment of your tissues needs to be performed in order to recommend the appropriate treatment.  Best wishes.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

I have severe gynecomastia. Are there any good gynecomastia surgeons?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Yes you do have gynecomastia or breast hypertrophy and will likely benefit from breast reduction surgery once you have reached your long-term stable weight, if you are not there already.  Seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons (who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with similar starting anatomic points) to discuss options. 

 In your case, breast reduction surgery will likely involve excision of skin, as well as breast and adipose tissue.  I would also recommend reduction of nipple/areola complexes and  moving them superiorly (as a graft).  

You would be wise to have the procedure performed by board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Nothing replaces in person evaluation when it comes to clinical follow-up and treatment of any complications that may arise.
You will find much discussion of options on this website and on the attached link as well. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,485 reviews

Dominican Rep for gynecomastia surgery?

Thanks for your question. Based on your photo, it looks as if you have excess breast tissue, excess chest fat and loose skin. It is likely that you need liposuction, breast tissue removal and skin removal. If you live in the US, I recommend you have your surgery here. Meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon is the best way to begin your surgical process. Recovery and post operative care will be important to you results. I suggest that you do this close to home.

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS
Boston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


I think that it would probably be best to be seen locally to be properly evaluated for your concerns and treated locally so that you can have close follow-up.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

I have severe gynecomastia. Are there any good gynecomastia surgeons in the Dominican Republic?

Treatment of severe gynecomastia does not necessary imply having drains placed. Minimal access technique and direct excision with extensive liposuction will suffice in most cases if done appropriately. There are special offers on RS that allow you to avoid traveling outside the US. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, great reviews and photos, and expertise in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 288 reviews

I wouldn't recommend it

Thanks for your question.  Gynecomastia should be treated by a board certified plastic surgeon in the United states, in my opinion.  Here in the united states surgeons undergo very rigorous training and testing to ensure they have the proper knowledge and skills to operate.  Also, the medical system here has a lot more in terms of checks and balances than other countries may.  I don't know the specifics of the DR, but I have heard some bad stories and seen patients come back with complications.  I would suggest finding a plastic surgeon in your area and discussing a consult with them.  If money is the major issue, just consider how much money it will cost to take care of a complication in another country.  Good Luck
"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Brian Arslanian, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.