How to find a good cosmetic surgeon?

All BC surgeons are not skilled. I could name 2 in FL only looking to make a buck. A good surgeon will not do procedures if a patient doesn't need the procedure. I went to a seminar and was convinced that I needed a mid face lift; $7K. I had the procedure and healed. The doc took updated photos and because almost no improvement was noticeable, his comment was " well there isn't much improvement , you did not have a lot of sagging skin to begin with, but good that you got a head start on this."
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

How to find a good cosmetic surgeon?

A very good question that deserves an explicit answer. But first, I note in ALL your posting you have never  posted a photo??? Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon. Best to use only board certified surgeons in Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery or approved by the ABMS. Next criteria is experience. Ask to see photos and in person meeting with previous patients. Third, I would ask which 'major' hospitals can the surgeon operate at, not just admit but must have operating room privileges. Finally, which is the most important issue as of 2015, does the surgeon own his own practice or is he a hired gun for a clinic? The saying the buck stops here applies because an employed surgeon really does not have to answer to the patient in a business sense. In a medical sense he/she is responsible. There are some guidelines in seeking a Cosmetic Surgeon. 

Seek a Board Certfied Plastic Surgeon

It is important to choose a highly skilled and experienced surgeon to match your #facelift goals and skin type with the appropriate surgical techniques.
Also, its best to work with a #board #certified plastic surgeon who is highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Experienced Surgeon For Facelift

You must choose a highly experienced plastic surgeon. The three magic questions will help you narrow down your choices to the best and safest practitioners. Questions: 1. Is this an operation that you perform frequently and how often do you perform facelifts? 2.Do you Teach, Speak, or Write about this procedure for the benefit of other plastic surgeons? 3. Do you have long-term follow-up photos for this procedure? Your surgeon must have the Experience, Expertise, and show Exceptional results. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Good Surgeon

One way is to look at the before and after photos in the office.   Good results and proper indications for the proposed procedures are an indicator of the surgeon's expertise and judgement. 

How to find a good cosmetic surgeon?

I am sorry to hear of your experience.  Of course certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery  and membership in the American Society of Anesthetic Plastic Surgeons are good places to start.  Both of these organizations have websites where you can check the qualifications of plastic surgeons in your area.

I always suggest that patients consult at least 2 plastic surgeons before deciding on a plastic surgeon.

Today there are many websites that provide reviews of plastic surgeons.  Although reviews are often not objective I think it is important to check reviews on sites like which can provide some insight.

Finally speaking to people who have had surgery by the surgeons that do consult can also be very helpful.

For more information on choosing a plastic surgeon please read the following link:

Board Certification

It is advisable to get several opinion from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons when considering plastic surgery.  Make sure to view before and after photographs of the surgeon work and look for patients with similar features to you.  Finally, developing a trusting relationship with your surgeon is advisable so that you will feel comfortable discussing your results with your surgeon.

John Burns, MD

Finding The #BestCosmeticSurgeon;

This is both a great question and an important one. The most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon possible. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon. See the below link on how to #FindTheBestPlasticSurgeon for your facelift.

Good cosmetic surgeon

1) First the surgeon must be board certified in a specialty that trains for facelifts, i.e..... Plastic Surgeons, Facial Plastic Surgeons , and some Otolaryngology surgeons. While this has no assurance of success it is a good starting point. Remember all other specialties learned these procedures in short term courses after residency.
2) Choose a surgeon who has been in practice at least 10 years. At this point he has both experience and a large body of work under his belt. When I started out I was convinced I was the best after my training, however 10 years later and 2000 cases of experience made me MUCH better surgeon.
3) Choose a surgeon with talent....and not all surgeons have it even after years of practice. The only way you can see this is to look at honest before and after photos of actual patients. You need to be careful here. Some surgeons show an extremely unflattering pre-operative photo and then match it to a post-operative photo that has lots of professional hair and make-up work. All pre and post operative photos should be consistent in character so as to be honest depictions of the surgical work.
4) Choose a surgeon who has thousands of cases under his belt and is happy to have you speak with old patients to get first hand opinions.
     I can tell you that I personally have been doping facelifts for 25 years and have done over 3500 cases. I have books and books of honest pre and post operative photos and lots of patients you can call. All my facelifts are done with oral sedation and local anesthesia injections, this removes 95% of the risk, almost all the bleeding and subsequent black and blue, and except for a few needle sticks is totally painless. This is a complete facelift with full flaps, SMAS sutures and all the bells and whistles. And most of all ...a natural looking beautiful result.

Finding a good surgeon

in order to find a good surgeon always look for their credentials and board certification. Go to the website of the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) or the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Hope this helps,

Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding a good surgeon

I am sorry to hear about your frustration concerning your procedure. You have gotten a lot of good advice about starting with a board-certified plastic surgeon facial plastic surgery. You're correct that not all surgeon's skill level is equal.  Is five a surgeon that has experience patients, your personal primary care physician, reading reviews and ultimately visiting with that particular surgeon.  The majority of surgeons operate with integrity and recommend procedures that are predictable in their hands and that will benefit you.