How long does it take to heal after a surgery? Does it still look like I need a plastic surgery? (photos)

first child birth -episiotomy. second delivery-torn everything inside and out(fast delivery, no epi). My doctor put stitches back on August 15th.it seems like she did not put a few stitches just right outside next to the perineum). It still hurts when I have sex (2.5 months since my surgery). I also want to get a second opinion as I think she did not do a good job inside as I hurt really bad. I almost stopped breastfeeding. I can't enjoy sex any more and not sure if I will

Vaginal Rejuvenation After Pregnancy

Thank you so very much for sharing your struggles.  In addition to enduring the recovery from childbearing, your other concerns can be incredibly difficult to tolerate.  Vaginal atrophy, sensitivity, pain with intercourse and other continence issues can be common following childbirth and breast feeding.  ThermiVa is a wonderfully effective, non-invasive treatment that we have been performing at our office for almost 2 years which continues to changes lives of the women in my practice.  With 3 simple 30 minute procedures (1 each month) they have rejuvenated and solved issues they and many of their medical providers did not know how to address.  ThermiVa uses radiofrequency energy to address issues of vaginal atrophy, vaginal laxity, sexual satisfaction, dryness, in addition to enhancing the appearance of external vaginal structures.  I encourage you to research this technology as it could address many of your concerns without having to take medications or endure other painful surgical procedures/recoveries.  We wish you luck.                     

Do I need to have surgery?

I am sorry you are having problems.  Women have tougher lives than men do. Difficulty with sex during the post partum period is just one more example. Its difficult to tell from a photograph if you need surgery: a physical examination is required. In general its best to avoid surgery when you can.  There are many medical options that can help as well as office based procedures with advanced technology.   

Does it look like i need plastic surgery?

Hi, it does appear that you have vaginal atrophy after childbirth secondary to breastfeeding. This means that the tissue has some decreased blood flood and is weaker, thinned out, bleeds easier, has less lubrication secondary to decreased estrogen in your system from breastfeeding (that is why most women don't get their periods when they are breasfeeding as well). In some cases this can be helped with adding back a small amount of estrogen locally with estrogen cream or systemic. Your Ob/Gyn can guide you in this manner.

As far as healing and scars are concerned after childbirth/episiotomy etc, it may take 3-4 months to heal from this and you are tender still secondary to the vaginal atrophy. I would recommend again discussing w/ your Ob/Gyn about some estrogen as well you should consider seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist that specializes in painful intercourse following surgery or childbirth. If these approaches are not successful, then at that point I would see a Board Certified Female Pelvic/Vaginal Reconstructive Surgeon.

Dr Robert D Moore, FACOG, FPRMS, FACS

Urogynecology and Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Plastic surgery ?

Vaginal opening looks atrophic, which is very common after delivery with breastfeeding. This is what is causing your symptoms with intercourse. Your stitches are healing well, but I think adding local estrogen cream will make a huge difference. ThermiVa would be a very reasonable option as well. I would not recommend any surgery at this time

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

How long does it take to heal after a surgery?

The vaginal tissue dryness and discomfort during intercourse is quite common while breast feeding.

I would make sure you get properly evaluated and consider localized estrogen therapy to help alleviate some of the dryness.    

Since you have a newborn and I am sure you are very very busy, I would consider the non surgical vaginal lasers which would also help with the dryness as well as other symptoms such as urinary stress incontinence and vaginal tightening.

Vagina traumatized after childbirth tears and stitching

You have postpartum vaginal atrophy related to breastfeeding and you have incompletely healed scars. These are obvious. Any internal injuries are not visible. You should consider vaginal estrogen therapy to resolve this more quickly and you need to avoid putting anything in the vagina until you're healed. If the situation persists for more than 3-6 months, you may need surgery. Not plastic surgery, but gynecologic surgery.