How long before implant will come down? (Photo)

I got 720cc in right and 660 in the left. The left is settling in quickly but my right is so high and tight how long before the implant will fill under my nipple. Having lots of burning under right armpit alot. Incision was under crease

Time for Implant to Come Down

Dear stacy82,

I do not think they are going to come down any lower. You should consider having a breast lift.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Breast augmentation recovery

Thank you for your question.  After breast augemnation surgery your breast tissue will swell and you will look larger than you expected for the first week until the swelling settles down. This may also cause your breasts to appear uneven. It notmally takes about 4 months for the implants to drop and settle. 

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend consulting with your surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. It appears you are still early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven. Over the next 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implant settling

It can take 3-4 months on average for implants to descend into the pocket. You might also need a small lift as well.

How long before implant will come down?

Thank you for your question. Look like you are early in healing phase. Usually takes about 4-6 months to settle in. Please follow instructions from your PS 

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breast lift

Your before pictures would have been helpful. The position and the size of your nipple/areola is low and you will need to have lift. Please continue to see your surgeon for follow up. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

How long before breast implant will come down?

Generally speaking it can take 3-6 months before breast implants settle into their final position. If you had a signifciant asymmetry with a smaller higher breast on the right that asymmetry may well persist. See your plastic surgeon and ask about breast implant displacement exercises.

Implants not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

How long before implant will come down?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Is to early to be expecting some results. Based on your pictures you look to be healing pretty good. 

When breast implants are placed under the muscle for the first time, they usually look very high and create a big bulge in the upper chest. The muscle and skin have to take time to stretch out to accommodate the new implant under it, and there is also swelling at the beginning.

Implants will descend over weeks to months. Each patient is different and each surgeon's technique is different. The fullness of the implant chosen for you will also determine how quickly you see the implants settle in. You are way too early to worry, I recommend my patients to wait at least 4 to 6 months to see some results. Stick close to your doctor and work with them through the process. 

Don’t worry about it. This is a normal process. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD