Revision? Second surgery? Areola repair? How long do I need to wait? Should I trim the stitches poking out? (photo)

My tape came off today. I'm appalled with the incisions. One he cut straight through areola & then beneath. My skin is puckering at the stitches & my nipple is facing downward. The other nipple looks like it was sown underneath the breast skin and has an obvious dip/ridge. I also woke from surgery with a thick cut on my breast that looks like I was accidentally cut. I feel butchered; what should I do?

Scar revision

I agree, there is some difficult healing, but you should wait 2 or 3 months for the tissues to soften before your surgeon revises the incisions.

Scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Concerns regarding your results

should always be addressed with your surgeon first.  Most incisions like yours do smooth out with time and you have to be patient about it.  If it doesn't, then your surgeon has some responsibility to help you get a more 'normal' result.  As for the slash, ask your surgeon why its there.  We do make some errors sometimes and hopefully it isn't as bad as you describe it to be.

Concerns regarding your results

Unsatisfactory Outcome

Nothing to do but wait. Admittedly, your initial photos showing extensive bruising and today's photos showing the areola are not very flattering for your surgeon. After 3 to 4 months, you should invest in seeing a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in revision breast surgery.

Unsatisfactory Outcome

Puckering of areola

From your description and photographs, I would have a different opinion than what you have said. It is not uncommon when the incision is just made in the bottom half of the areola, that this pulls that portion of the areola downward making it look like it's indented. As the scar going from the skin all the way through the breast relaxes, this will usually abate. This may take 6 to 8 weeks in my experience. Also, the area that you think was cut ,to me looks more like a blister that we sometimes see with taped dressings that apply tension to the skin. Go back and speak with your operating plastic surgeon, I think you're gonna be just fine.

Puckering of areola

Revision? Second surgery? Areola repair?

Hello Ajfraley86, thank you for your question and pictures, I would recommend that you speak with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time. He/she is the best one to be able to answer this question for you and any other questions you might have since your surgeon is the one that performed the surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in restorative breast surgery.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Peri-areolar incision deforming areola

I recommend that you follow up with AppleValley plastic surgeon, Ali Tehrani, for an examination of your breasts in order to get an accurate evaluation prior to considering revision surgery.

Peri-areolar incision deforming areola

Breast Implant Revision / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I would recommend that you speak with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Dr. Schwartz
#RealSelf100Surgeon