Can anyone tell me about gummy bear implants? Are they natural feeling & looking also?

Are they natural feeling & looking also? My surgeon suggested these but upon doing research, I have found some info stating that these may look great standing but may look different when in different positions? I want something that feels & looks natural in the end result... to me & my husband.

Gummy Bear Implants

As Dr. Hardesty said, it is a term used loosely for a variety of implants, round, shaped, and with various gel firmness. I can tell you that a true highly cohesive, anatomically shaped implant looks and feels the same as other implants. That's right. Firm on the table top, but as soft or softer in the body. Why? Because it's not the gel inside an implant that dictates the firmness inside the body, its the scar capsule that forms around the implant that dictates implant firmness. And these new, textured implants placed through an inframammary incision tend to make soft, pliable scar tissue in most women, with the lowest risk of capsular contracture. Make sure your surgeon is an ABPS certified/ASAPS member. Best of luck!

Breast Implant: Information

Dear Ms Denisekj,

Thank you for your question and your story. "Gummy bear" was orginally referred to the silicone (gel) implants that were form stable or shaped implants. The term is loosely used by many and often refers the latest generation of implants that are highly viscous.  Older generation silicone implants were filled with a more liquid silicone and were slightly softer feeling than the newer and safer silicone gel implants.

My suggestion is go back to your Plastic Surgeon and ask to "feel" the various sample implants and ask if he/she is actually recommending a shaped form stable silicone (gel) implant. Shaped implants are most often used after mastectomy for breast reconstruction.

The ultimate feeling and movement  of your breast will be dependant on other factors than just the implant selection ie., the amount of breast tissue you have, placement of the implant, size of the implant, location of the implant, the amount of capsule your body forms,etc.

Lastly, I trust you have chosen a experienced Bd. Cert. Plastic Surgeon who optimally is also a member of the Am. Soc. for Aesthestic Surgery, demonstrating by membership a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery.

My best,

Robert A. Hardesty, MD, FACS 

Good question. Much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal. 

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.

3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result. All FDA approved breast implants utilized today are cohesive gel silicone breast implants;  some are firmer than others (including the true "gummy bear" breast implants).  I find that I use round smooth silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients who seek breast augmentation surgery.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

To summarize: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well.  Chances are you will be very pleased with the outcome of breast augmentation surgery. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Cohesive ("gummy bear") breast implants

A familiar and often asked question.  Cohesives can be very natural feeling, particularly in the thin, small breasted woman.  With less breast tissue in these patients, the procedure is more akin to a breast 'construction', rather than an augmentation, and less cohesive implants may well be more obvious with evident wrinkling and rippling. Having been involved since the early clinical trials with cohesive implants, I believe that there is a population of breast implant patients that will greatly benefit from these devices, just as there is a set of patients in whom shaped implants are advantageous. Another benefit of cohesive implants is their ability to stay in place better if they become ruptured; less cohesive implants would not do so as well.  Older generation(much older) implants had the consistency of an egg white - very streamy and syrupy - and would tend to be more prone to be picked up by the lymph nodes if left in place for a long time after rupture.  The new cohesive implants are more like brie cheese from your refrigerator, semi-solid and would be less apt to do so.  Your plastic surgeon, board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, can help you with your decision to determine what is best for you.

Bradley Remington, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Feedback from patients with highly cohesive shaped silicone gel implants #plasticsurgery

I've had several patients comment on the firmness of their shaped silicone gel implants - they are certainly firmer than smooth round silicone implants.

Gummy bear implants

We now have gummy bear implants made by Allergan that are smooth and round so are not affected by position concerns. A consultation would be necessary to provide you more details.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

"Gummy Bear" Breast Implants

"Gummy bear" is a term coined by Dr. Grant Stevens to distinguish the new cohesive gel implants after the old silicone gel implants were taken off the market in the early 1990's. All silicone gel implants now are cohesive gels. They are not as soft as the old implants, but once implanted correctly are quite natural in feel and look. There are 2 shapes available, round and anatomic. The round changes shape as you move. The anatomic is slightly more firm and does not change shape with movement. Both, however, are more natural than saline implants.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

What are gummy bear implants

Hi and thank you for the question. Gummy bear implants refer to highly cohesive silicone implants versus the more traditional implants.  Gummy bear implants are able to maintain their shape better than the alternative. There are several benefits to highly cohesive implants. Patients generally  notice less rippling with these implants. This is more of an issue for thin patients with little to no breast tissue versus patients who have a more substantial mount of breast tissue and fat to hide the irregularity of a traditional implant. Another benefit of the gummy bear implants is that they are associated with a lower risk of capsular contraction her. This refers to  The formation of thick scar tissue around the implant that makes the breast feel firm and look distorted and eventually become painful. The downside of the gummy bear implants is that they do feel a bit firmer compared to traditional implants, and they cost significantly more. In my opinion most patients can get very good outcomes using traditional  implants. I like the gummy bear implants for my breast cancer patients, and for very thin patients who are at a greater risk to develop visible rippling of their implants. My suggestion would be to go on several consultations. Ask the surgeons what their thoughts are regarding gummy bear versus traditional implants for your build. I've attached a link to a page on our website that discusses implant choices. Good luck to you.

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear

Thank you for the question and certainly the term "gummy bear" has caused confusion.  That said the gold standard for breast augmentation is round smooth gel implants which are now more cohesive then those formalized thus the confusion

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD