Fluid drainage after mommy make-over
- Fluid collection of 400 cc at 6 weeks after a tummy tuck is not normal.
- It may be a seroma - requiring daily drainage until fluid subsides
- and surgery if fluid does not subside
- But red fluid in a seroma this late after surgery suggests an infection.
- Loosen your compression garment.
- Have the RN culture the fluid, contact your plastic surgeon and arrange for you to be seen for whoever is covering for your surgeon, ifs/he is unavailable. Best wishes.
Chronic seroma might require surgical excision
A seroma that persist for long period of time can develop the capsule that might require surgical excision for the most prompt in best outcome.
Prolonged abdominal drainage after Mommy Makeover
HI. I would be concerned at this amount of drainage if it is bright red - ask the surgeon's RN to organise someone to see you or at least discuss it with your surgeon. Regards Charles Cope
You should see the plastic surgeon who is covering for your surgeon while he or she is away. If you live in a town with only one plastic surgeon, you should have your surgeon arrange for you to see a general surgeon.