Why are my eyelids so different? (Photo)

I notice when I'm tired my eye lids look worse. I started noticing it a few years ago but seems to becoming more noticeable. I am starting to get quite self conscious about them. If I didn't look in the mirror I would not notice, they have not impaired my vision.

#blepharoplasty

Hi Emma. 

If it is longstanding, the difference between your 2 eyelids is just a normal variation and nothing to be concerned about. If the cosmetic appearance bothers you thn it coukd be addressed with an asymmetrical blepharoplasty or eyelid tuck. 

Regards

Damien

Asymmetrical eyelids

HI there, 

Thanks for your question, based on your photograph and the history that you are giving, you show a classic case of blepharptosis. This is when for various reasons the muscle that helps open the eyelid (the elevator muscle) does not work as well as it should. This can be symmetrical or asymmetrical. The based solution to this problem that often becomes more apparent with being tired is surgical. 

Ross Farhadieh, MBBS, MD, FRCS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your photo.

Based on what I see, you have a droopy upper eyelid on your right. This happens when the muscle that opens your eyelid becomes weak and is unable to lift the upper eyelid as well as the opposite side. This is most noticeable when you are tired, at the end of the day or after a long session in front of the screen ( computer, iPad, iPhone). You may have headaches around your forehead and temples.

Surgical correction is the best option and you should contact an expert for an assessment

Best Wishes

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry / Ptosis

As you have aged you have developed a weakness of the muscle that holds the eyelid in position and this drooping is called Ptosis ("toe-sis").  In addition you have extra skin/fatty tissue of the eyelids. The proper treatment to attempt to restore symmetry and youthfulness would be a combined upper eyelid ptosis repair along with blepharoplasty (sculpting of the upper eyelids).  You need an in-person consultation with a board-certified, fellowship-trained Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon with specific expertise in Ptosis surgery and cosmetic eyelid surgery. You can review your photos and discuss your options with him/her.  Do not choose a doctor who merely dabbles in eyelid surgery -- you need an expert. Best of luck in your search!

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon