Vertical Chin Reduction Cost and Expectations

I've had jaw realignment surgery. At the time, I was told my jaw had grown thicker on one side. Because of that, I have some remaining chin asymmetry. Since my jaw is fairly long to begin with, I'm considering vertical chin reduction to match the shorter side. It's not a drastic difference (very subtle, I realize). Is it possible to burr the chin down on one side? Also, is there a ballpark price range for this kind of procedure? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 3

Chin reduction surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The proposed question is to reduce the vertical height of the chin and I have performed that operation many times.  In most cases, my preferred approach is through the mouth and using highly specialized equipment, a "wedge" of bone is removed, and the longer side is rotated up.

Burring down the longer side is also an option.  Having both a medical as well as a dental degree, I believe gives a broader view of the subject and I would suggest looking for a surgeon like myself, who has experience in both areas.  See the video below for further information.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Yes We Can!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For sure we can drill or burr down one side of the jaw. It is a relatively simple procedure that takes about 1 hr and will cost from 2,500 -3,500 $ at our practice depending on anesthesia costs.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck,


Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Vertical chin reduction for asymmetric chin (PHOTO)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would discuss this with your maxillofacial surgeon. Depending on time, facility, and anesthesia, fees will range from 3000-6000 USD.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.