Do I qualify for breast reduction? (Photo)

I'm 22 years old and have been contemplating breast reduction surgery for the last 4 years or so and have desperately wanted it for the last two years. I'm 5'2", approximately 145lbs and my breasts are 34D (I'd like to be a full B cup). They cause discomfort, difficulty exercising, but more than anything they've had a tremendous impact on my self esteem. I already know my insurance will cover the surgery and am awaiting a consultation. I'm curious if I will qualify or if my breasts aren't large enough.

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question. I have done many breast reduction surgeries and specialize in restorative breast surgery.  From your photo and Based on your description, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Breast Reduction.   Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations I perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall.  So the breasts are automatically lifted when a breast reduction is performed.  By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to perform their activities of daily living and exercise.   I find it Best for patients to communicate their goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size by pictures.  Many patients wish to remove enough breast tissue to improve/alleviate symptoms while maintaining upper/lower body proportionality.  Pictures are very helpful to achieve this goal. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Take care, Dr Schwartz  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Will I qualify for breast reduction?

From your information and pictures that you provided, you appear to be an excellent candidate for #breast reduction and a #lift. The best place to start, is with a #Board Certified #plastic surgeon in your area. They will be able to consult with you to determine your needs based on your anticipated outcome. The office staff will also be familiar with the requirements of you #insurance carrier. You can also contact insurance customer support for questions you may have related to coverage. ). In general when the excessive #breast size causes functional problems, insurance will generally pay for the surgery if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Insurance companies have a number of requirements and an examination will be able to determine if you are a candidate for reduction. Pre-authorization by an #insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month. 9Congratulations on your decision and good luck!

Breast reduction

You are certainly a candidate for a breast reduction.  It just depends on how you want to pay for it.  You can certainly pay for the procedure or try to get your insurance to cover it.  If you want it to be covered by your insurance, see a board certified plastic surgeon and they can submit the necessary paperwork to your insurance company.
Good luck,Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

You would have to be seen in person and be properly evaluated. Even though your insurance company  "covers" breast reduction, they may not cover yours if you don't meet their criteria.

Do I qualify for breast reduction?

I am sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial concerns your disproportionately large breasts cause. Based on your description and photographs you seem to be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Online consultants will not be of much help to you when it comes to predicting insurance companies' coverage.

Generally speaking,  patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.    I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.