Varicose Veins Preventing Movement in Leg?

I have a major vericose vein from my ankle to the upper thigh on right leg. I am having major problems twisting my knee when walking and going up stairs. Could the veins be the problem or is it my knee having problems. Is there one doctor that does knee repair and vericose veins both? Or do i have to go to two different doctors.

Doctor Answers 5

Early ultrasound to assess varicose vein problems in the legs

Varicose veins and venous reflux can cause symptoms of pain and early muscle fatigue.  I would recommend early intervention begining with an ultrasound. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Varicose veins of the leg causing leg and knee pain - Buffalo Niagara, NY

I recommend that you see both orthopedics and a vein specialist.

Knee pain is NOT caused by varicose veins unless there is a large vein that crosses the knee and which is inflamed or thrombosed and tender. 

I would first get a venous Doppler ultrasound done in the offices of a vein specialist and not in a hospital vascular lab - as this study will be more precise and the vein specialist can overlook the study as it is being done by the vascular technician (RVT or RPhS) and ensure that the proper components are performed and venous insufficiency documents (if it exists).

If you do have venous insufficiency, I recommend that it be treated BEFORE you have any knee problems taken care of so that you don't get inordinate amount of leg swelling after knee arthroscopy or replacement that will slow down your physical therapy and rehabilitation. 

Read the venous insufficiency book on the link below - it is a free access ebook

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Two different doctors needed.

Varicose veins are due to malfunctioning (reflux) of the valves usually in the saphenous system.  Although varicose veins can cause pain, what you are describing does not appear to be typical of vein pain.  You should see a vein specialist and undergo a venous ultrasound to evaluate your veins and you should see an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate your knee.  Following this, decisions can be made as to the cause of your pain and the proper treatment and order of treatment.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Varicose Veins Preventing Leg Movement

Thank you for your question. I recommend two different doctors.  An Orthopedic Surgeon for your knee, and Vascular surgeon for the varicose vein. Use experts in their respective fields.  First you need a diagnosis as to the cause of your pain, then a vascular evaluation. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist
3.9 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.