What are my options for determining if a breast lump is benign or cancerous after recent breast lift/augmentation 6 weeks ago?

Hi, I'm 6 weeks post op from a breast lift/augmentation, anchor scar all healing nicely. I am 44 yrs old. Had my 1st mammogram 2 weeks prior to surgery, as ordered by surgeon. I never heard anything, assumed all was good and that surgeon would let me know if there were any problems. I just didn't have it on my mind to ask if he checked results, I was nervous about surgery. 3 days post op learned of bilateral lobulated density and being sent for MRI with contrast. I'm so scared!

Breast lift with mass

I'm sorry to hear your problem. I know it's scary, but try not to worry too much until you have the mri and biopsy. Most irregularities are not cancerous. In the worst scenario, breast tumors are very treatable, and it could be a blessing to discover the problem early because of your surgery. You most likely will need a needle biopsy with mri or ultrasound guidance. This can be done safely and still maintain a nice result from your lift. Good luck.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast mass work up

Your MRI results will help guide your treatment if necessary. The most definitive way to determine whether you have a benign or malignant mass would be biopsy. 

Breat lump after aug/mastopexy

You have three options for non-invasive diagnosis:  Ultrasound (least expensive, Mammogram,  MRI.(most expensive).  If he lump was not there before surgery, there are several benign (Non cancerous) possible diagnoses, including fat necrosis or hematoma.  Usually theses non-invasive techniques can distinguish between the options on the basis of tissue density, but if that fails, then a fluoroscopically guided needle biopsy will give the actual diagnosis.  Statistically, it is unlikely that you have a malignancy, and ytour surgeon may advise you to wait awhile to allow more healing, before doing the diagnostic.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about your concerns. Your anxiety is certainly understandable. The MRI will likely be a  good first step; don't be surprised if a biopsy is recommended to definitively diagnose the lesions. Best wishes for a benign diagnosis and a surgical outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Sorry to hear about your mammogram results. An MRI of the breasts is the correct next step in the evaluation of the areas of concern. Hopefully, the results of the mammogram will show that those areas are consistent with benign tissue. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

I bet you are fine

Take a deep breath.  The likelihood you have breast cancer bilaterally is very slim.  The MRI will better evaluate things and can direct whether a biopsy should be done.  The idea of cancer is debilitating and I know very scary, but statistics are on your side.  If it is something that needs attention, just know we are capable of doing amazing things with breast reconstruction. 

Resolving abnormal pre-op mammogram noted after surgery

annefran,

You will need your doctor's guidance in this, but a bilateral lobulated density sounds more like dense breast tissues than a pathologic process. You do need to follow this to its conclusion, however.  This finding does not sound too concerning as MRI is a better modality to investigate dense breast tissues that are not well-visualized by mammogram alone. I hope that this helps.

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS   

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon