Is a lift required for my Breast reduction? (photos)

#1Given the size I am (36 G) I would love to drop down to a full C size. Can that be acheved with a standard breast reduction with NO lift? #2 Are there any surgeons who have had good luck requesting approval from insurance for a reduction with a full lift based on medical necessity? Btw ins is Health Net HMO. Thank you so much!!!!

Breast reduction

You are a great candidate for breast reduction surgery, however to achieve the results you want, a lift is absolutely necessary.  Given how much skin overhang you have, I suspect you will need an inverted-T scar (anchor scar) reduction.  The last case example you have (one of your end result goal photos) is from a case I personally did, and you can see that the scars in her case are a very fair trade-off for the overall improvement.  I would expect an even more dramatic improvement in your case.You will probably be able to get insurance coverage if you jump through the proper hoops (primary care doctor, plastic surgeon and physical therapist notes saying you need a reduction, etc.).  Many surgeons such as myself do not take insurance, but I do provide patients with op notes, office notes, photos, and other documentation to help them get whatever they can from their insurance companies to apply toward the cost of surgery.Regardless of how you do it, I think this surgery will be of great benefit to you both aesthetically and physically. I wish you the best of luck with this process!

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Lift with breast reduction

Hello and thank you for the question and photos. Based on the photos, you are a great candidate for a breast reduction. All reductions are also lifts, in that the breast is reduced in size, but also the excess skin is removed and the breast is lifted and reshaped. Insurance coverage differs between carriers. All will have different requirements for coverage. You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any decision. You should expect to take 1-2 weeks off of work for recovery depending on the type of work you do. As always, it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health conditions you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Is a lift required for my Breast reduction?

The process of reducing the breast, by current techniques, includes a lift. It is not extra but rather part of the reduction process. By your photos the lift will be extremely important to get results you will want.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question.  When a breast reduction is performed, a lifting of the breast is achieved automatically.  It wouldn't be a separate procedure.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Lift

Thanks for your question. From your photos it looks like you are a good candidate for a breast reduction. A breast lift is part of the procedure. You may want to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. The surgeons office should be able to assist you in working with your insurance company to have them cover your breast reduction costs. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Whenever a breast reduction is performed it includes a breast lift as it is part of the procedure. Thank you for your question.

Fred Suess, MD