I got HD Lipo on my chin and neck. How long am I supposed to use the compression strap?

I'm kind of confused because I have seen about 10 different answers saying how long I need to wear the strap afterwards for recovery. My doctor hasn't explained much to me which I guess I should have investigated before but I just trusted them. I have bumps, soft and hard and ropey under my chin and on my throat. I use heat and rub them once or twice a day. I wore the strap for a full week (besides in the shower/spot cleaning) and now I just wear it anytime I'm home and all night.

Neck lposuction - how long to wear the garment?

Thank you for asking about your neck strap after liposuction
  • I am so sorry you are confused -
  • It is confusing because there is no 'right' answer.
  • What does your surgeon tell you?
  • The garment is worn for your comfort and to reduce swelling.
  • It will not affect the hard areas under your chin - these are from swelling and take time to subside on their own.
  • Your approach seems fine - some people like the straps and wear them for months, others only occassionally after the first two weeks.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Check with your surgeon - I got HD Lipo on my chin and neck. How long am I supposed to use the compression strap?

If your surgeon is not explaining what needs to be done, demand an in office appointment with him/her. Compression is very important with this procedure. This is a simple question that can cause a lot of confusion with answers from too many different perspectives.Good luck!

Reza Rod, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Exilis Ultra/Cellutone or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

In my practice we do RF treatments immediately after neck HD lipo VASER liposuction and compression is essential. I suggest lymphatic massage if you have nodules.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumps and chin straps

In regards to your chinstrap if you ask 10 doctors you'll get 10 answers. All the doctors on RealSelf will most likely tell you what to ask your doctor what he or she recommends. In my practice I don't find compression garments or a chin straps to be all that important. I do use them. Our protocol is to use to chinstrap continuously for 48 hours then patients can wear them on and off 12 hours on 12 hours off. After 1 to 2 weeks there's no need to use the chinstrap anymore. Streaks and lumpiness are unfortunate. Some of this are part of the healing from liposuction but they should be minimal and the neck area. Hopefully your doctor was a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience. High definition VASER
Can give amazing results when done correctly. The same procedure can't unfortunately lead to disfigurement if done incorrectly. Follow up with your doctor. You are entitled to appropriate aftercare after having paid for your procedure. This should include direct contact to your doctor via cell phone or email. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so if they're not responsive I suggest you emphasize the importance of getting back to you. I hope your final results will be what you had hoped for. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD