Will the crease and bulge smooth out after mini tummy tuck?

I'm 29 days post op from a mini tummy tuck, muscle tightening and laser lipo revision. I still have swelling so it looks a little wavy but my main concern is how it pokes out above my belly button and also the crease near the incision. I'm still wearing the compression garment (except to shower). Will this smooth out? If not, what can be done? It seems like the skin that's left is loose from the stretch marks and had no elasticity.

Mini Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photo. You are very early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your mini tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Results after mini tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You seem to be healing well from your photographs. After such extensive surgery, there can be lots of swelling. Swelling can take up to a year to resolve. Final results won't be seen until then. Also, skin takes some time to retract. Continue your compression garment, and also consider massage therapy. I recommend close follow-up with your surgeon. Best of luck!

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon