Is Swelling After Lipo Gone when Bruising Subsides?

I had Vaser Liposuction in my inner and outer thighs 2 1/2 weeks ago. My bruising is almost gone. Does that mean the swelling is gone too?

Not likely

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there-

Swelling and bruising will usually take a variable amount of time to resolve after a VASER treatment, and the bruising does usually resolve first.

I think it would be exceptional for you to have achieved complete resolution of swelling after only 2 1/2 weeks, as even with the VASER (which I do believe is the very best tool out there right now), we normally expect complete resolution to take 2-3 months (but some of this depends on the nature of the postoperative care your surgeon believes in).

This is good news for you though- as more swelling resolves, you will only look better!

Congratulations on your new body.

Healing Expectations After Liposuction

Many studies indicate that there is less injury to the body with Vaser than with traditional #liposuction. Recovery from Vaser Liposuction is based on the level of soreness and bruising experienced by the patient. But, it can vary among patients. As with traditional liposuction, there are no large incisions  or effect on the muscle and other underlying tissue. Therefore, #healing time may be less than anticipated by most. Therefore, Vaser patients may experience less #pain or discomfort, #swelling (#edema) and bruising post procedure due to the nature of the technique. 

A quicker #recovery for a patient may be two to three weeks without any strenuous activity. This includes the short period of suggested rest of 12-24 hours soon following the procedure. #Exercise and activity are contingent on how the patient feels. Mild activity is not likely to hinder recovery or healing or create problems with recovery.  However, it is recommended to acquire your doctor's permission to do so. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! 

Swelling after #Vaser liposuction is not uncommon. Gentle #walking may increase circulation and help to alleviate swelling. But you must not strain or push yourself. Also, if you were provided a post-procedure #garment, be sure you are wearing it until prescribed otherwise by your doctor. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Many patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after procedures, as directed by their doctor; some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

The final results of the procedure are typically most noticeable 2-4 months following the #Vaser. So, you must have patience. The swelling will gradually diminish while the contours of the treated area(s) can continue to improve up to one year post procedure; becoming more apparent in appearance. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Vaser Lipo Swelling and Bruising

Thanks for your question.  Swelling and bruising are two separate mechanisms the body has to manage trauma, and so are not necessarily linked.  Most patients find that swelling has significantly subsided after 2 to 3 weeks.  I've found that manual lymphatic drainage massage seems to help significantly reduce the overall time that swelling subsists.  In studies I've done with patients in my own clinic, I've found that statistically bruising lasts somewhat less than swelling, but that there are plenty of cases where the opposite is true.