Intense Pain and Numbness After Vaser Liposuction

How long after Vaser Liposuction does this intense pain decreases? Also, how long before the intense swelling decreases and when will the numbness go away?

Intense pain after VASER liposuction is not normal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would agree with the other post that intense pain after VASER liposuction is not normal. Having done several of these procedures, I find that most of my patients will use the words "discomfort" "throbbing" "ache" "tightness" "soreness." Patients do not say "intense pain." If a patient were to report intense pain, I would ask them to come to the office immediately for an examination.

Swelling is very common after liposuction of any kind, and can take a good 3 months before you see the result of the liposuction. Numbness is also common in the area of the incision and to a lesser extent, in the area of the liposuction. This can take several weeks to improve. Good luck!

Vaser Liposuction recovery -- Massage Therapy , Hyperbaric Oxygen

I set my patients up with massage therapy, RF treatments and Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment for recovery.  Liposuction can cause nerve pain that can last for 3 months and is best treated with oral neurotin and the above listed after care.  Compression is essential post treatment as well. Best, Dr. Emer

Intense pain after VASER is not typical

You should discuss this with your doctor. I have been doing VASER lipo for several years and have never had a patient describe the discomfort as intense. Swelling and numbness are common, though to a variable degree. In any case time will be your ally here as pain and swelling are expected to go down over a period of days to weeks.

Richard Baxter, MD

Many studies indicate that there is less injury to the body with Vaser than with traditional #liposuction. Recovery from Vaser Liposuction is based on the level of soreness and bruising experienced by the patient. But, it can vary among patients. As with traditional liposuction, there are no large incisions  or effect on the muscle and other underlying tissue. Therefore, #healing time may be less than anticipated by most. Therefore, Vaser patients may experience less #pain or discomfort, #swelling (#edema) and bruising post procedure due to the nature of the technique.  

A quicker #recovery for a patient may be two to three weeks without any strenuous activity. This includes the short period of suggested rest of 12-24 hours soon following the procedure. #Exercise and activity are contingent on how the patient feels. Mild activity is not likely to hinder recovery or healing or create problems with recovery.  However, it is recommended to acquire your doctor's permission to do so. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!

Swelling after #Vaser liposuction is not uncommon. Gentle #walking may increase circulation and help to alleviate swelling. But you must not strain or push yourself. Also, if you were provided a post-procedure #garment, be sure you are wearing it until prescribed otherwise by your doctor. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Many patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after procedures, as directed by their doctor; some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

The final results of the procedure are typically most noticeable 2-4 months following the #Vaser. So, you must have patience. The swelling will gradually diminish while the contours of the treated area(s) can continue to improve up to one year post procedure; becoming more apparent in appearance. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.