Vaser Liposelection on Abdomen - Swelling 5 Days Post-op

i had vaser liposelection on my abdomen on 18th sept 2010 under GA. i am back to work today (5th day after surgery). i still have bad swelling around my belly area and have trouble getting myself up or lower myself on the bed/chair. is this normal?

Swelling 5 Days Post Vaser Liposelection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Swelling is not uncommon following #vaser #liposelection. Gentle #walking may increase circulation and help to alleviate swelling. But you must not strain or push yourself. Also, if you were provided a post-procedure #garment, be sure you are wearing it until prescribed otherwise by your doctor. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Many patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after procedures, as directed by their doctor; some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

After one to three days, you can return to work. As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. 

The final results of the procedure are typically most noticeable 2-4 months following the #Vaser. So, you must have patience. The swelling will gradually diminish while the contours of the treated area(s) can continue to improve up to one year post procedure; becoming more apparent in appearance. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

Liposuction 5 days after Liposuction

Regarding: "Vaser Liposelection on Abdomen - Swelling 5 Days Post-op
i had vaser liposelection on my abdomen on 18th sept 2010 under GA. i am back to work today (5th day after surgery). i still have bad swelling around my belly area and have trouble getting myself up or lower myself on the bed/chair. is this normal
?"

Liposuction involves putting tumescent (swelling) fluid into the fat to greatly reduce blood losses. The liposuction itself produces a lot of inflammation which results in swelling. The swelling after liposuction also depends how the openings through which the liposuction was done are handled; were they left open to drain fluid? where they partially stitched to allow some fluid to drain? were the stitched shut precluding fluid drainage and were there any drain tubes used? EACH of these methods are used and has plusses and minuses. Leaving the access incisions open results in the least swelling but a big mess due to fluid leaking out.

Off hand I doubt anything is wrong but whenever in doubt stop by and allow your surgeon to examine and tell you for sure.

Dr. Peter Aldea