What are the best diets to follow for quicker healing after a facelift?

Diet after surgery

vitamin c and regular amount of calories with lots of protein are probably the best things you can do to help with healing after any surgery. the body needs protein to repair itself and vitamin c has been shown to help that process. This is not a time to diet or restrict calories, you need calories to heal

wishing you all the best

Diet for healing

The most important thing to do is have a balanced diet. I like patients to take one multivitamin a day as well as Vitamin C.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Vitamin C, Protein, Low Sodium

After any type of surgery, the body relies partly on protein to help heal itself. Choose lean protein sources such as poultry, fish, eggs, and low-fat cheeses. Vitamin C can help the body process and make the most of that protein intake, so it's a good complement. It's also important to avoid foods with excessive sodium, as this can contribute to unnecessary swelling. Beyond that, the normal guidelines for healthy eating are still applicable after surgery: Stick to nutrient-dense whole foods to make every calorie count.

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Rapid Recovery Process

Eating a well balance diet that is high in protein is best both before and after surgery. Proteins such as chicken, eggs, soy and red meat are ideal protein sources to support tissue healing. Additionally, taking a well balanced multi-vitamin starting three weeks before surgery can help with wound healing. You should have the optimal levels of vitamins before surgery, but not too much of one specific Vitamin, except Vitamin C. Large amounts of Vitamin C have shown in studies to help with wound healing. However, you must be careful with Vitamin E. Large amounts of Vitamin E (more than 400 mg per day) can increase bruising and bleeding. Be careful about taking any homeopathic supplements. There are many supplements which increase bruising and bleeding. They are advertised as good for your health, but they may actually interfere with surgery. Especially risky are herbal remedies. Often the ingredients are untested and can increasing bruising and bleeding. Consult your surgeon before surgery to see which supplements should be discontinued prior to surgery and at what point post surgically you can resume your normal supplement and diet routine. 

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Healthy diet for healing

The best thing is to follow a health diet with adequate protein, complex carbs and lots of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from foods that cause inflammation such as sugar and highly processed foods. And make sure to drink enough water. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you very much for the question. In general, it is important to follow a protein-rich diet that is filled with plenty of fruits and vegetables as well as with vitamin C; this can promote healing and keep you healthy during the recovery process. I would recommend consulting with your surgeon ahead of time, as he/she may have specific guidelines for you to follow. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Diet & Supplements to Promote Healing

I suggest to my patients beginning supplements such as  bromelain or arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment. 

Diet before facelift

Thank you for your question, please maintain a healthy and balance diet, eating protein helps repair muscle and foods high in vitamin C, it should help with healing.  All The Best 

Nutrition after Facelift

Thank you for your question! Your nutrition and diet after a facelift is very important, and something that I do not believe we discuss enough.  I would suggest that you have a well-balanced diet, and specifically one that is low in sodium.  Salt/sodium can increase your swelling after this procedure.  Also, I would eat foods rich in Vitamin C, as this will help healing as well. High fat foods are ok in moderation but can increase heartburn, and I would think best be avoided.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diet after facelifting

Our bodies have evolved a great capacity for prompt healing, we just need to provide the fuel to help this happen and avoid things that may slow it down. A healthy diet should include plenty of fruit and vegetables and adequate calories to support your body healing itself. Stay well hydrated but avoid salt as this may increase swelling. Constipation may be a problem if you are dehydrated or taking opioid painkillers so avoid these. Keep mobile but no heavy exercise for a coupe of weeks and avoid smoking.

Much of our capacity to recover is determined by how well we are pre-operatively so get into shape pre-op and make sure your diet is optimal before the surgery as well as after.

Matthew Hansen, MBBS, FRACS
Perth Plastic Surgeon