Swelling or symmastia? (photos)

I had surgery Monday-465cc hp sientra. I'm 4'11.5 and 105lbs. How am I looking in the middle? Is it just swelling? Follow up tomorrow and I'll ask my board certified surgeon about it then, but I think its a concern a lot of women have and would be helpful!

Hello mikeswifescookies,Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the photos you have provided it appears to me that our concerns are based around swelling. In most cases the breasts will appear larger after surgery due to the amount of dissection that was needed to make make a pocket for the implant. It would be in your favor to decrease your activity level as much as possible to avoid additional swelling. I highly suggests you express your concerns with your surgeon and keep an open line of communication with him. All my best.
Kouros Azar M.D. 

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling vs Symmastia

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance.  It does not appear that you have symmastia. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Swelling or symmastia? = very likely swelling #breastaugmentation #sientraimplants #ba

Symmastia (from Greek, syn: meaning together and mastia: meaning breasts) is  when the breasts are connected or confluent in the midline (there is no identifiable separation between them).

Sometime female patients have beasts that are very close to each other. If there is a identifiable separation between there, it is very unlikely the patient has symmastia

John Mesa, MD

Swelling more likely than symmastia

as all surgeons hate it when it happens and we do everything we possibly can to minimize the risks for it.  The skin looks swollen but as the swelling subsides, the skin will get more adherent to the sternum again and the cleavage more clearly defined.  If the mounds are actually touching when upright, symmastia becomes more of a concern... and yours do not touch or even come close to touching. 

Curtis Wong, MD