Is a shower seat really that helpful after a mommy makeover? We have an extendable shower head...

I'm bargain-hunting for supplies and am curious if a shower seat is worth the money? If yes, is a back or armrests important? I'm getting a TT, BL/BA. I just don't want to spend unnecessary funds, but want the truly helpful items around as well. Thanks!

Mommy Make Over: Important Post op Equipment

Fantastic, you are going to have a tummy tuck and BL/BA!  In my over ten years of practice the more helpful rental or purchase has been a recliner. A recliner will help you in all stages of recovery after a tummy tuck when you are trying to "stand up" straight!  A shower is definitely important after surgery but most physicians would prefer a "bird bath" or sponge bathing until the drains are removed. I think a shower seat is a luxury and I prefer my patients to stand and attempt to resume the usual daily activities of their home and use the usual bath room equipment so that they can return to work and their usual routine as soon as possible.  Bathing will be a struggle but think of you time in the shower as an exercise in standing up straighter and  reclaiming the "straight upright" position which is challenging after all tummy tucks. If you focus on progressively standing up after day 3  of your tummy tuck you should be upright within 5-7 days. BTW, if you must sit during your shower maybe a plastic beach chair would be better and more additional uses around the house. Success to you!

Doctor Recommendations

It is always important to follow all of your #surgeon's pre op and post op instructions.  Each surgeon is different, but if your #boardcertified plastic surgeon recommends using a shower seat, please use one.  The instructions are there for a reason: your surgeon wants you to #heal from your #mommymakeover smoothly and quickly.
Best of luck.

Mommy make-over - is a shower seat necessary?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• You should ask your own surgeon - as every surgeon has a different approach.
  • I require my patients to have a seat in the shower in case they get dizzy (it can be a plastic stool) and someone near-by to help during their first shower.
  • For my patients, renting a walker makes a huge difference, a shower seat less so.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Showering after TT, BL/BA

A walker will help as you will need to walk in a flexed position after the surgery and will be very helpful.  Assuming BL/BA refers to breast Lift/b breast augmentation, generally shower seat are not necessary as your showers are better to be short unless for that short time you like to be more comfortable.  By the time you take showers you will start to to stand more straight (more individualized).  Dont use hot water and avoid steamy showers.

Be sure you choose a surgeon board certified by "The American Board of Plastic Surgery".  Check her/his reviews, before and after photos, credentials, experience, and have a quality consultation. 

You surgeon should be preferably a member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally a member of "American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons" to indicate cosmetic plastic surgery is the main focus of their practice and they have been evaluated to perform high volume and quality, honest aesthetic surgery and adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD