How should I reduce my thigh fat? (Photo)

I am a 36 year old female. This area of my buttocks/legs doesn't respond to diet or workout. Help! What should I do?

Reduce thigh fat

Thank you for asking about your thigh fat.
  • You have a  lovely figure - it is hard to see how much fat is in your thighs from a profile view.
  • You have some skin dimpling and irregularity - liposuction can make this worse.
  • This area is a difficult one - if there is excess fat, a small cannula liposuction may help a little.
  • Or the areas of dimply can be released - a machine called Celfina is supposed to do this well.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction those thighs !

Liposuction of the thighs and buttocks is easy to undergo and makes a very nice improvement with little down time and quick recovery.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if liposuction or a BBL is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- Thigh Fat

I do a significant amount of full leg/body contouring. I suggest you see someone who does a significant amount of full body VASER 4D shaping.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Reduction of thigh fat options

Thank you for your question. From the picture it is difficult to tell what options are best for you. Liposuction can work well, but it can also make your legs look worse if you have poor skin or cellulite. Sometimes CoolSculpting or Vanquish which are non-invasive treatments can work very well. I would suggest a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can review all your options once you have been examined. Good luck.

How should I reduce my thigh fat?

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to tell from the single photograph what the best choice for treatment is. If you feel that this area is full, compared to the surrounding areas (buttock and thigh) then you could consider liposuction, but this is not always the best choice. In some people, liposuction will make the area looked worse and not better. Some women benefit from transferring fat to the surrounding areas to smooth the contour between the waist, flanks, buttocks, and thighs. Performing liposuction on the flanks and transferring the fat to the buttocks creates an S-curve that starts at the bra line and ends around the knee (Brazilian Butt Lift).  The key to the Brazilian butt lift, is that someone has to have enough extra fat to transfer to the buttocks. Other options could include release of attachments between the skin and the underlying tissues (Cellulite). Cellfina is a well-known treatment for Cellulite. You get the most helpful advice by visiting a board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. They will be able to examine you carefully and discuss all of your options.

Outer thigh

This is a tough zone in your case. It doesn't appear that you have significant fat to remove in this area therefore any sort of liposuction technique is likely not a good option and may actually worsen the irregularities. You would see improvements if your skin was tighter and lifted. These improvements usually require more surgical interventions but it's not unreasonable to try some non-invasive approaches such as radiofrequency and Endermologie.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Stubborn Thigh Fat

Hi and thank you for your question.  This is a very common location to have persistent, stubborn, subcutaneous fat.  Although a physical examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always needed, I would first start with a non-invasive fat removal technology, such as UltraShape or Sculpsure.  They are designed to remove small amounts of subcutaneous fat in difficult areas, which would be perfect for you.  These procedures do not involve surgery, and they are performed in an office setting with zero pain and no downtime.  2-3 treatments are usually needed to see the results that you want.  If that doesn't get you to where you want to be, I would next recommend ultrasound or laser-assisted liposuction.  This is a little more invasive and will require an operation with anesthesia.  But, it will definitely remove any unwanted fat and offer skin tightening over those areas as well.  Good luck!

Ryan Marshall, DO
Missoula Plastic Surgeon