Pulled a stitch out of my nose 5 days post op. Should I be worried?

I was cleaning outside of nose and thought it was a hair. Pulled on it and stitch came right out. I am on day 5. Should I be worried. My surgeon is now away on holidays. There is no bleeding or pain.

Pulled a stitch out of my nose 5 days post op.

Thank you for your question.  I usually take Rhinoplasty stitches out 5-7 days after surgery.  It's best to call your doctors office for their advise. Best of luck. 

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose stitches

Be very gentle cleaning your nose for the next two weeks.  As the nose heals it is very delicate and subject to twisting or bending if you put too much force on it. The stitches inside are often meant to dissolve on their own around day 5-7 and that is likely what came out.  It should be fine, but make sure your surgeon knows that at your next visit.  Best of luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon

Without knowing the extent of your procedure, my advice is to be on the safe side.  Call you surgeon's office, and let them know what has happened.   You should make an appointment with your surgeon to get in to have them take a look as soon as possible.

Gregory D. Roberts, MD
Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pulled a stitch out after rhinoplasty

Firstly, you should be extremely careful in the early postoperative period.  If there is anything that you feel the need to clean, trim with a fine scissors, as opposed to pulling on anything which creates more trauma.  You will likely be fine, but relay your concerns to your surgeon when he or she returns.  Be gentle to your new nose for the first several weeks!

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Intranasal stitch removal

Most of the intranasal sutures are meant to dissolve over time.  When one is removed early, it is usually fine, especially on post-op day #5, but I would contact your rhinoplasty surgeon to let him know what happened.  If he can't be reached directly, he or she should have somebody "covering" for them or someone in the office can help to answer your question.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon