What does Fraxel Laser Do?

Is Fraxel the laser that makes age spots blacken and disappear? I have done a series of IPL last winter worked great for neck area not so much for face so I dont want to invest time again on IPL except as maintenance. Is there another form of laser which offers good results for a fresh glow ?

Fraxel Lasers

Thank you for your question. Fraxel resurfaces the skin and allows the creation of new skin to replace the damaged areas. Specifically the Fraxel Dual with 1927 wavelength is probably best for what you describe. I hope this helps!

Danville Plastic Surgeon

What does Fraxel Laser do?

Fraxel laser is my absolute favorite laser.  Fraxel Dual is uniquely designed with two wavelengths.  It is far superior to the IPL laser for removing sun damage and dark spots.  The Fraxel 1927 wavelength is an amazing laser for treating pigmentation in a very gentle way with minimal down time.  Fraxel also has another laser called the Clear and Brilliant Laser which is like a "mini-Fraxel".  This laser has a special hand piece called the Permea which also removes pigmentation without any down time.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with lasers and Fraxel for the best cosmetic results.

Fraxel Lasers

There are many different kinds of Fraxel laser, they vary in wavelengths and depth of laser penetration. But essentially a Fraxel laser treatment is used for skin resurfacing. When you resurface the skin with a laser treatment you are improving the appearance of the skin by treating the top dead layer of skin. The treatment will result in smoother fresher looking skin and improved tone and texture. Over time you can see an improvement in wrinkles and acne scars with Fraxel treatments.

If you wanted a fresher glow I would recommend Fraxel Dual. The Fraxel Dual machine houses a 1550 wavelength and a 1927 wavelength. The 1550 wavelength penetrates deep into the skin layers specifically targeting concerns such as wrinkles or acne scars. The 1927 wavelength effectively targets tone, texture, superficial signs of aging, actinic keratosis and pigmentation.

When receiving a treatment using this machine you can receive a 1550, 1927 or both during your treatment. The wavelength used is dependent on your skin and what improvement it needs.

Immediately after treatment you may have some redness and swelling that can last a day or two. The sensation post procedure is similar to the heat from a sunburn. The skin also gets dry and rough similar to sand paper and the skin can appear darker as it is going through this process.

The dry rough skin will flake off, usually about 3-5 day post procedure. During this time you can continue your daily activities and apply make-up if you would like. Many of my patients come in on a Friday and are back at work by Monday. Fraxel is the most popular laser in my office.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is appropriate for your skin type.

For more information click on link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser

Fraxel laser skin resurfacing tricks your skin into creating new skin to replace the damaged, or targeted areas, resulting in natural skin rejuvenation. It is a safe, non-invasive laser skin treatment without the risks of major side effects or prolonged downtime of other procedures.The Fraxel Laser treats mild to moderate acne scarring, sun spots/damage and fine wrinkles. Many people notice results within a week after their first treatment. Their skin feels smoother, looks less blotchy, and has a glow.  Some people notice a difference after one treatment, but the recommended Fraxel treatments are usually done in a set of 3, about 4 weeks apart. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

IPL or Fraxel for dark spots

Not all IPL treatments are the same, as there are over 40 different IPL devices on the market, so it is not that an IPL cannot clear brown spots effectively or provide a glow, it really depends on the device used and the operator using it. If one is looking for a more drastic clearance of their pigment in one treatment with more of a glow, you can consider a Fraxel Dual treatment.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser Treatment

Fraxel is a great laser for smoothing fine lines and enlarged pores, as well as tightening  fragile eyelid skin. For brown spots, the Nd:Yag laser may be more appropriate...

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Fraxel laser can reduce photo damage, brown spots, freckles and sunspots

The series of Fraxel lasers can reduce pigmentation whether it is sun induced such as freckles, liver spots, sun damage, and hormone-induced melasma.
The Permea laser can gently treat post inflammatory hyper pigmentation and melasma in some patients.  Fraxel Dual 1927nm. component of the Fraxel Dual laser, specifically targets the pigment layer of the skin. Fraxel Restore can also reduce pigment spots, as can Fraxel Repair carbon dioxide laser. All of these lasers will make it look worse before better. The Clear&Brilliant Permea is the least obviously affected, but brown flaking dots do occur in the Permea and Restore.
The Clarisonic Brush helps clear the skin of the brown flakes starting at the fourth day typically. Moisuturizer and sunscreen is important.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel

From what you're describing, the Fraxel Dual with the 1927 wavelength is probably what would work best for you.  It takes 3 or 4 treatments usually to get the desired results.  The treatment has minimal downtime similar to the IPL.  Good Luck.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD, FRCPC
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon