Explant sooner than later?

Hi I had 325 cc saline implants under the muscle done 3 weeks ago. Things are healing well and cosmetically think they will look great. However despite researching health considerations prior to surgery and thinking I was fine with the the minimal risks, I have realized I feel very uncomfortable about the choice I made. Would explanting be an easier procedure if done sooner. If so, in what way? I do want the cspsule removed. Thank you.

Too early

I would consult with your PS and run through your concerns. It is very early to judge your result and you should take your time before considering explantation. 

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Explant now or later?

Consult with your surgeon regarding your decision.  He or she would be the best to advise you.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Explant - now or later?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I am so sorry you made your best decision and now find it wasn't right for you.
  • If you are sure you can't live with implants, having them removed now is fine.
  • If you aren't sure - wait a little longer.
  • At 3 weeks, you will not have formed a capsule - your implants can be removed, no capsulectomy needed.
  • The easiest way to remove the implant is to reopen the incison and coax out the implant.
  • Depending on the implant, your surgeon may be able to do this in the office.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Explant sooner than later

I think you should have a detailed discussion with your surgeon sooner rather than later. The internet is not the best resource to help.

Removal

Since you have only had the implants for 3 weeks, you have not yet given yourself time to heal, let the swelling subside, the tissues relax, and the implants settle. You also have not given yourself time to adjust to your new look. You obviously did not like your look before surgery, and may not be happy after removal. I would suggest giving yourself more time to heal and adjust first.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Explant

Removal of the implant can be performed when you are ready. A drain should be used to prevent a seroma. Tight compression bra also useful to reshape the breast

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS