Tried a Chemical Peel to get rid of hard white dots on cheeks, now I'm getting dark patches, what do I do?

I am 39 years old Mediterranean complexion I moved to Canada from US apparently my skin was sensitive to the water so I got some hard white dots over my cheeks, like white hard dots so I went and did a chemical peel And started getting dark patches behind both of my cheeks, now I have dark patches on both sides of my face, upper and behind the cheek area, I have seen dermatologists and tried lightening creams but it's not working... What do I do ? It's affecting my life? Can any doctor help??? Please?

Doctor Answers 4

Dark spots after a chemical peel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Zarzouriano,

Given your ancestry and the types of symptoms that you described it sound like you have a postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.  This can occur in patients with deeper peels who did not undergone pre-treatment and who did not undergo sun avoidance (specifically UV radiation that passes through the clouds).  The white dots that are hard sound more like minor inclusions in the pores which are best removed with a 1 mm incision and expression.  Of course, these statements are entirely speculative as there are no images to review, we do not know what type of chemical peel you received, whether or not melasma is present, and how long this has developed over time.  I hope this at least helps you to find the best answer for you.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue & Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. How recent did you receive the chemical peel, and what type of chemical peel did you receive? Different types of skin react to different levels and types of chemical peel treatments differently. Dark spots, tenderness and redness are common temporary side effects after the chemical peel. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your local area.

Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

Dark Spots from Chemical Peels

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Please consult an expert in chemical peels and treating these complications.  It sounds as if you had a reaction to the treatment and need expert help.  Cosmelan or other treatments may help you.  Best, Dr. Green

Please stop doing home treatments and see a board certified dermatologist for real help.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peels require expertise.  Don't do damaging chemical peels on yourself.  You will make your complexion worse not better.  Please get yourself the help you need.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.