Will changing from hp to uhp help palpability? (photos)

Almost 5 weeks post op 465 hp sientra smooth under round implants. 4'11 105lbs. Recently I've noticed not only can I feel the implant edges but I can see them pretty clearly as well. Will changing to uhp or xhp help in covering it? Thank you

Changing from HP to UHP Help Palpability?

The short answer is NO. Switching to an UHP implant (of the same volume) will only change the profile or projection of your implant and will tend to make your breast look more like a round ball on your chest, particularly if you have thin tissues which sounds likely. The reason that you can see and feel your implant is that you are a petite individual with little breast tissue and you have chosen a relatively large implant for your frame. As implant size increases it will increasingly stretch and thin out your tissues. If you started with thin tissues then even a modest sized implant can potentially be visible or palpable. Choosing a larger implant size has consequences, and these are issues that your surgeon should have discussed with you prior to your surgery. 

Increasing the height of your profile of your implant will not help with ripples and palpability

as you have a tissue deficiency and UHP's will only stretch your tissue out more with time.  My suggesting is to accept the minor problems and live the life you want.  And if anyone ever criticizes you about that, its a great character test to let you know the person you were with is not worth staying with.

Curtis Wong, MD

Higher profile implants will not improve rippling

The higher the implant profile, the more it is subject to what is called traction rippling, which could make it worse not better. it is normal to feel the implants when the tissue coverage is thin, which sounds like your situation. There are options to improve this, but you are early post op so give it time.

Richard Baxter, MD

Will changing from hp to uhp help palpability?

Thank you for your picture and question. At 5 weeks out from surgery, your implants have not settled and it is too early to worry about the outcome. That being said, the palpability of the implant has nothing to do with the implant or the profile of the implant, and everything to do with what is covering the implant. And at 105 pounds, my guess is there is not much covering the implant, so no matter what implant you choose, the covering is going to be the same. To change the visual and tactile aspects of your results, you are going to have to cover the implant, which would require acellular dermal matrix in the pocket on top of the implant to disguise the edge, or fat grafting of your skin envelope to increase the covering. These two would both be options for you and you should contact a board certified surgeon to discuss them if after 6 months you are still not pleased with your results. 

Using an extra high profile implant will reduce both palpability and visual problems with less cohesive implants

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast surgery.   Keep in mind, is far too early to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.
 Although I cannot provide you with definitive advise without in-person evaluation, I generally do not find that the use of different profile implants help with breast implant rippling/palpability. In these types of situations, the use of additional "coverage" material such as acellular dermal matrix may be very helpful. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.