356cc rice sizers look great. Since I'm getting silicone unders, should I get closer to 400cc to assure I get that size? (Photo)

I'm 5 ft, 105lbs, measurements are 33-24-37, bra size 32b. Getting silicone unders. 356"cc" rice sizers look great, love the look. Since its under the muscle should I get closer to 400ccs? I do prefer the larger look and would rather big too big than too small.

Correct implant size

Thank you for your question and pictures. You have a slim frame and having implant below the muscle is reasonable but choosing the exact implant size can be difficult.The pocket under the muscle can be tight and it is important to remember that a larger implant will press on the breast significantly with some thinning effect in the longer term. I am very aware about this and like to go with an implant which will fit into the breast without distorting it. For this reason I am a firm believer in 'Less is more' principle.The rice sizer is deceptive and works differently than a true implant. My feeling is that you should not go more than 340-360 cc maximum to avoid long term issues.

Wearing a good sports bra is critical and best of luck with your transformation.

Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size/Rice Sizers/Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your great question.

There are many ways to properly determine your implant size. Most important is in-office evaluation and many measurements we perform during a comprehensive evaluation. This will allow us to determine not only the size (the "cc"s) but also review different types of implants.  You will have opportunity with most surgeons to try the sizers in the office and be able to compare for yourself with your outfit or surgeons recommended outfit.

You will have many options be based on your medical history and physical exam which will include the tissue type, location of nipple and areola, breast folds, asymmetries to name a few. The actual implant size (the "cc") is totally individualized. A few millimeters on chest measurements can change the type and size of your implants considering your goals.

The Breast Augmentation results are mostly dependent on surgeons expertise, experience, dedication, and artistic vision. This is why the results may be very different from one surgeon to another.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and afters, and have a quality consultation.

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and also member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume, honest, and high quality aesthetic plastic surgery.

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link                                

When using external sizers such as rice

its always advisable to upsize the volume by 10% to select the implant size and in your case, 400s would be recommended, assuming a profile will fit into your breast/chest dimensions.  So the answer is go with 400's.  But how did you find a 356 cc rice sizer??? 

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Im

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Implant Sizing

Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons and show him your appearance with the sizers. He should be able to determine what size implant based on your appearance using his expertise.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

356cc rice sizers look great. Since I'm getting silicone unders, should I get closer to 400cc to assure I get that size?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. No system to size implants is perfect. If you are currently a B cup and you are looking at increasing around 400cc, then you are looking at around a D cup when finished. I would say that in the end, you will probably be happy with either the 356 or the 400 cc implant. After all, we are only talking about 1.5 ounces of fluid difference. I would also say that if your concern is being too small rather than too big, then you would likely be better off to go with the larger of the two implants you are choosing between. 

Hope this helps!

Best breast implants for me?

Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.

In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.
In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the upper room.
Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.
In my opinion, it is not possible to accurately determine how many ccs (if any) a patient would “lose” when undergoing sub muscular breast augmentation surgery. I suggest patients do not make decisions based on statement such as: “you will lose 25 or 50 cc of volume when breast implants are placed under the muscle”. These statements are simply not reliable enough…
***Given your questions and concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon. This additional time spent will be helpful in the communication process and in alleviating some of your anxiety.
Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.