Is there risk of blood clots with Vaginal Rejuvenation?

I would like to know if there is more risk of blood clots with vagina rejuvenation?. Can the surgery be done with sedation? Please let me know if you are near Vancouver, BC Thanks a lot.

Vaginal Rejuvenation and Risk of Blood Clots

Vaginal surgery done under local anesthesia or intravenous sedaton has the lowest blood clot risk. The risk is higher under general anesthesia because the blood flow through the legs (where blood clots would most likely form) is slower under general. Longer surgeries have higher blood clot risks than shorter surgeries. If there is a history of blood clots in your family, mention it to your surgeon so that appropriate testing and preventive measures can be taken.

Risk of blood clot with vaginal rejuvenation

There is a risk of blood clots with any type of surgery, albeit relatively rare with most types.  Vaginal rejuvenation performed under IV sedation is definitely possible and does keep the risk to a bare minimum (<1%).  Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Is there risk of blood clots with Vagina Rejuvenation?

Vaginal rejuvenation is a common procedure I do in my certified office operating room. Vaginal rejuvenation means tightening the vaginal canal resultant from muscle weakness or separation from childbirth. To some people it means labiaplasty with or without clitoral hood reduction. This I do under local anesthesia with oral sedation. A vaginal tightening procedure I do under intravenous sedation and not general anesthesia. The risk of blood clots is close to zero from these surgeries. I also use leg compression garments during surgery to prevent blood clot formation. See a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in these surgeries for a consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Risk of Blood Clots with Vaginal Rejuvenation

All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major #complications are rare. These can include infection, bleeding , separation of the incision, changes in sensation , pain, increased sensitivity, unsatisfactory cosmetic results. The specific #risks and suitability of these #VaginalRejuvenation for each individual can be determined only at the time of consultation.
Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
#Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks while #Swelling can persist for two or three months. However, ice can help reduce swelling.
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.