Belotero lip injection HUGE lump. Any suggestions?

I got my lips injected yesterday, only half a syringe. My friends have done it before too but nothing happened with them, i have a couply small bumps but one HUGE lump on my top lip extremely noticable. I dont know what to do, I also passed out when i got injected because the whole procedure scared me. I smoked right after and I've made out with my boyfriend, is that a problem? Should I msg it? Thank you! Jess

Bump after injection of lip filler with Belotero

Do not massage the area. I recommend that you wait 2 weeks before you make any decisions as to whether to intervene with possible dissolution IF there is a "lump or bump". It is too early before the 2 week timetable to be concerned about uneven injection of product because the lump could be a bruise.

Bump after Belotero injections into Lips

Thank you for posting your concerns. At one day post injections of Belotero, you do not need to worry. Try to gently massage it down and use cold compresses. If this does not work, see your doctor. Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the injected material. Good luck with the recovery.

Belotero in the lips

Belotero has the constancy of thick water, so it is great around the eyelids and lips, because it is so thin. If you have a HUGE lump, it is most from a small capillary that bled - which is very common in either the lips or the lower eyelids. It will take about 2-3 weeks for that to go down though. Ice will help. Smoking never helps. Always blame your boyfriend. 

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Belotero and Lumpiness

Belotero is a good product for injection and I would definitely wait two weeks for the swelling to subside. If there is still swelling after that time I would return to your treating physician for Vitrase to reduce the product.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is a specialist in cosmetic injections for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling after lip filler

Swelling immediately after lip injections may represent swelling and/or a hematoma formation (solid collection of clotted blood). After lip injections, I advise my patients to ice their lips for 2-3 days to help improve the amount of swelling. Depending on the type of filler I inject, I ask my patients to massage any lumps or bumps they may feel. Before massaging, please ask your doctor if this is something you should do. In general, the swelling/hematoma/bruising could last 2 weeks, so it is important to wait in order to see the final result. I also ask my patients to try to avoid blood thinners (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.) at least 2 weeks prior to filler placement as this can increase your risk of bleeding, bruising, and hematoma formation. 

Maryam Nazemzadeh, MD
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Swelling Normal Right After Belotero

Whenever the lips are injected with any product, there is a risk of extreme swelling. This usually can last for several days.  Often the lips will appear twice the size.  Everyone varies on the degree of swelling.  Only time will tell if the lump is swelling or filler.  If it is product/ filler,  it usually can be easily massaged and molded by your physician in 10-14 days.  I recommend that you do not massage it.  That can lead to more swelling.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Please see your physician if you are concerned, but often I tell people to take 2 weeks before deciding on the ultimate outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Belotero lump

It is common to have lumps from injections into the lips due to swelling. It is very early at this stage to determine whether the lump if filler or swelling. I would recommend that you go back to your practitioner to have this checked out.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon