Should I wait until after I lose the rest of the weight before having my surgery?

I've lost considerable weight but would like to lose more. Should I wait until after I lose the rest of the weight before having my surgery? If I lose weight after I have a breast augmentation will it ruin the look of my results?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Should you finish your weight loss prior to surgery?

My guess is that your breasts have changed considerably since you began your weight loss journey.  If that is the case, that means they will continue to change with further weight loss.  I like my patients to be within 5-10 pounds of their goal weight before surgery.  Best of luck to you on the remainder of your journey!

Losing weight - before or after surgery

Hello and thank you for your question! If you were to lose weight after your breast augmentation instead of before, it would not "ruin" the look of your results - but they would not be your ideal or best results either. 

It is safer, healthier, and your breast augmentations final results will be much, much more pleasing to you if you reached your goal weight first and maintain it. This is because when you receive the implants for your breast augmentation, they spend anywhere from two weeks to four months stretching out the skin and tissues around them to make room and "drop" to look natural. 

If you were to lose large amounts weight after the implants have already stretched out the tissues and skin on your chest, then it could produce a saggy look or even produce rippling in the breast. 

Congratulations on your weight loss! Best wishes. 

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD

Weight loss

Ideally, you will get your best results if you are down to your desired weight. Some women loose a fair amount of volume in their breasts with weight loss, and some do not. If your breasts have changed a fair amount with weight loss, it would be best to weight first. However, you might want to go ahead and meet with a board certified plastic surgeon so you can get an idea about what size you want.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss before surgery

I generally recommend patients to be at or near their target healthy body weight (within 5 lbs) before plastic surgery procedures.  Weight loss can change the way the skin and surrounding tissues respond. I would suggest making a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when you are within a few pounds of your goal weight and have maintained this weight for 3-6 months.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

It's best to lose wt before surgery

Thank you for your question Tracey. Congratulations on losing weight! It is recommended to have a healthy BMI (18.5 - 25) and to be weight stable before getting breast implants so you do not get displeasing results later on. In terms of getting a breast augmentation, nothing can be said without an in-person exam and consultation. I urge you to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon. That being said, if you are planning on further losing weight, then it is possible for your breast to lose volume. Fluctuations in weight can have dramatic effects on the breasts in some patients. With weight reduction, the fat around the breast tissue may also reduce. If you are to get an implant first, and then continue to start losing weight, this may likely make implant rippling more visible gradually depending on the pocket the implant is placed in. Other patients may not have reduction in volume around the breasts, and can get breast implants without much concerns. If you have significant fat around the breast such that the breast shape is not pleasing, then reducing your weight will decrease the fat in your breasts and may improve the breast shape. So as you can see, it depends on your current breast shape, amount of breast fat, and other breast characteristics. Please book an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Is continued weight loss possible

for you without extreme dieting and exercise?  Can you lose the weight with your normal and presumably enjoyable lifestyle and diet?  If so, you should lose weight.  Otherwise if you're at your plateau weight, just make sure you won't gain weight after surgery and you should be good to go.

Curtis Wong, MD

Yes. Your are 100% correct. If you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight, it's best to use the weight prior to undergoing surgery.

Weight loss and breast augmentation

Generally speaking, it's best to be at or close to your stable weight when you have surgery.  It's less critical if you are already an A cup and don't have any droop.  In that case, it's unlikely your breasts will change much with more weight loss.  If on the other hand, your breasts have changed with weight loss or have significant droop you would be best served by waiting.

Samuel Beran, MD