Can my tattoo be excised? (photos)

I've tried several laser sessions and seen minimal results. Laser is also too painful for me and since my tattoo is a thin armband can it be excised? I don't mind the resulting scar I just want the tattoo gone.

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatments -- Multiple Wavelengths for Colors

You may be able to better tolerate PicoWay. Surgery will leave scars that need to be treated with lasers. It will take multiple treatments to remove the tattoo. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Excision not recommended

Thanks for your question and photo. You may want to consider PicoSure versus an excision. PicoSure’s laser technology cause it to deliver laser energy into your desired area(s) at a much higher rate than previous lasers. As a result, the PicoSure laser is much more effective and works quicker than other laser skin treatments. Hope this helps! Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Can my tattoo be excised?

Hello, thank you for your questions and for including a photo. Laser tattoo removal would definitely be recommended over excision.  There is not that much ink and with it being just black and red, the 1064 & 532 wavelength are both very successful in removing these colors.  It shouldn't have to be so painful that you are not wanting to continue. Many facilities can offer  lidocaine injections to numb the area to be treated making the actual treatment nearly painless.  We use the PicoWay laser in our office, it has both the 1064 and 532 wavelengths. You should check around in your area to see if this type of device is available and if they can provide lidocaine injections to manage the discomfort.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision of tattoo

Surgical excision of tattoo is not a great idea as it would leave a very visible scar.  Your tattoo ink (black and red) should respond well to a traditional Q switch Yag laser but will require multiple treatments.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Tattoo excision

Thanks for posting your photo and question. Because of the width of the tattoo, the excision wouldn't be good idea. I would suggest a couple of things - first, get a second opinion. It's always a good idea to see another provider. I'd suggest finding the most experienced one in your area. It may not be the cheapest provider, but find someone who deals with difficult tattoos on a regular basis. Second, try to find someone who use a PFD patch. PFD allows for multiple treatments in a single visit, thus reducing the amount of treatment sessions needed. Hope this helps, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Excision for tattoo

While excision is an option, it depends on the area where the tattoo is located.  I still feel that laser treatment is the best way to go.  It may help to goto a provider who uses a picosecond laser or the R20 method with q switched lasers to remove the tattoo.  Since you have both black and red colors, a laser with 1064 and 532 nm options may be the best although picosure at 755 nm can also help.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician